Camping with 12mo

(11 Posts)
AnnoyedByAlfieBear Tue 23-Jul-13 12:17:47

DH and I are seasoned campers but we're taking DS for the 1st time next and I'm starting to wobble. I've got a massive list of stuff for him but I'm not sure about him eating. He generally helps himself to meals spread over his highchair tray, but we haven't really got space for his highchair. We've got a totseat so we can strap him to a camping chair but where do we put his food? He'll be too low for the table.
Any suggestions? Or recommendations for anything you found to be a must-have for camping with babies?

Thanks!

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Tue 23-Jul-13 12:18:08

next week!

ShoeWhore Tue 23-Jul-13 12:45:12

I think with ds1 we borrowed one of those plastic booster seats that comes with a detachable tray. With ds3 we had an ikea highchair - the famous £15 one - and I just took the legs off and shoved the whole thing in the boot grin I also spoon fed them with them strapped in the pushchair.

Have fun! We had a great time camping when they were babies.

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 23-Jul-13 12:50:42

You can buy folding high chairs for camping but they are quite pricey. Alternatively, the IKEA Antilop is cheap and the legs come off which makes it packable - we used to take ours camping and it has a removable tray which I think you buy separately if memory serves. It was also a good place to corral DD for a few minutes when we were trying to get things done.

Otherwise, you could get a low camping table or one which can be placed at different levels maybe and push it up to the camping chair to act as a sort of table.

Or you could just put a tray or plate on a picnic rug and let him sit on the rug and pick things, I guess (it is dreadful - DD is only 3 but already I can't remember whether that is actually a feasible suggestion for a 12 month old)?

As for must-haves for babies - some sort of pop up tent for shade is useful, and a fleecy all-in-one for sleeping in was great too (maybe not so much at the moment though...)

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 23-Jul-13 12:51:21

X-post on the IKEA highchairs!

ShoeWhore Tue 23-Jul-13 12:56:31

Great minds think alike MummyPig !

rumbelina Tue 23-Jul-13 13:03:17

Ikea highchair is your friend - we couldn't have camped without it. Will probably take up as much space as a strap on chair as it all comes apart.

MrsHoarder Tue 23-Jul-13 13:12:57

At 12 months we are putting DS on a rug with his food in a bowl (and try not to think too much about how it looks like giving a dog food).

COCKadoodledooo Tue 23-Jul-13 18:20:41

We took ds1 on his first camping trip at 18 months, and he had his meals either picnic style on a blanket or sat in one of those fold up booster seats with a tray table attached.

When we took ds2 at 9 months we bought one of these . It really does fold uber-flat and sat on top of the stuff in the boot under the cover (estate car) or on top of the stuff in the trailer.

nappyaddict Thu 25-Jul-13 18:35:29

Has anyone used the Regalo My Chair or Regalo Easy Diner? If so, what chair/table do you use it with?

shirazplease Thu 25-Jul-13 19:23:49

Another thumbs up for the ikea chair. Saves dds Maclaren from getting disgusting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now