SOULPAD.... should I???

(50 Posts)

family of 5, is a soulpad 5m going to be big enough??
anyone got one they'd like to rave about?

also, how big are they when packed up?

SalIAm Sun 28-Jul-13 21:14:38

We've got a Frontier stove and it is brilliant. Whilst some of the other tent stoves will give a bit more heat, the biggest benefit of the Frontier for us is how portable and compact it is.

I've read that some hardcore winter campers said it doesn't warm 5m tents up enough, and I can't comment on that as we've got a 4m. I'd be very surprised for normal use though - we've camped over Christmas with snow around us and it was very cosy inside. So much so that we opened the 'windows' for nice ventilation whilst we played games and drank wine inside.

If you have FB, here is their page: Camping Solutions and website.

If you do a quick search there are a million and one reviews, but this one has nice closeup photos.

As to how to plug the hole when not using your stove, the spark arrestor can be used.

Or, you could do it as this lady did. I'm much too lazy, but that looks pretty amazing. closing when not in use.

Normal precautions with stoves obv - carbon monoxide alarm (but don't rely just on that as never 100% sure) and ventilation, never leave on overnight just in case, have fire extinguisher, have folding pocket knife under pillow.

I love how it extends the season (and you can go camping without having to book nice sites months in advance!)

Bramblesinforrin Sun 28-Jul-13 22:00:50

Lovely Pictures - now I want to make some fitted covers for my sims!

SalIAm Sun 28-Jul-13 22:33:07

Yes, they do look lovely, don't they? Whilst you're at it, do you mind making me a flap for my tent? wink

Bramblesinforrin Sun 28-Jul-13 22:43:08

smile gorgeous sewing on that flap.

@sixp yes yes yes! the noise of our current tent drove me mad the other week and is what prompted me to start looking into canvas again! hence starting this thread :-D we had one really windy night and I was up soooo much as it was so noisy

@rooners: will keep an eye out for your update!

now, who can tell me the name of that trailer box thing that attaches to the back of your car? someone on here got one free? (ages ago)

SalIAm Sun 28-Jul-13 23:08:09

Hi thisisyesterday. Is this the one you mean? The website doesn't seem to be working anymore, so I don't know whether they stopped producing them or just changed name.

ahh yes that's it

stuckonsmallrock Mon 29-Jul-13 12:57:00

I went from an 8 man Gelert to a 4m tent from Bell Tents rather than soul Pad & it is amazing. Best thing we ever did. Go for it, you wont regret it ;)

MinimalistMommi Mon 29-Jul-13 13:14:25

We're off tomorrow camping in our 5m Soulpad and I'm so exited! Just regretting that it's not a bit glamped up! I want some bunting and fairy lights, this is is our fourth year camping in it, can't believe I haven't got those bits yet! We have some sheepskin rugs at least...grin

i keep trying to find the "like" button hmm i clearly spend too much time on FB

MinimalistMommi Mon 29-Jul-13 18:09:24

LOL this

OonaghBhuna Mon 29-Jul-13 19:03:36

We are just back after two weeks camping in Cornwall, love love love our 5m Bell tent, we could sense envy from other campers and people came over to chat to us but really they just wanted to have a look inside. People were shocked at how quickly we were able to pitch.

OonaghBhuna Mon 29-Jul-13 19:04:28

we didnt have any glamping accessories but it didnt matter, Im going to buy something every month from now!!!

Bramblesinforrin Mon 29-Jul-13 23:55:59

I know what you mean, ooghnagh. Our bell was the go to destination for a nose around on my last camp (apart from the Dutch couple opposite with the teeny tiny perfect camping chairs!)

MinimalistMommi Tue 30-Jul-13 07:41:46

Campers have asked to come into our bell tent before shock
I have late them too!

MinimalistMommi Tue 30-Jul-13 07:41:56

*let

sixp Tue 30-Jul-13 08:02:27

Campers have wanted to look inside ours too and I've had to say, no as children were sleeping inside!
Thanks for the stove info everyone. The frontier one looks good, but I've now frightened myself with safety thoughts, so will hang off a bit longer... I actually hadn't even thought about a carbon monoxide alarm!

sixp Tue 30-Jul-13 08:03:27

People also often offer to help put ours up, but then are amazed wen it's completely pitched in about 10 minutes 😊

sixp Tue 30-Jul-13 08:03:53

*when

Rooners Wed 31-Jul-13 11:27:13

We just got back, after two nights and nearly 3 days away in our 4m.

And there I was eyeing up all the Schmidt and Zwerver polycotton beauties that the Dutch contingent had brought, from ours!!! smile I think half the Netherlands had camped where we went. And they know how to do it properly, but not one of them had a bell tent.

Anyway what I would suggest uis the worst thing about them, is the drying time. I went round bashing the walls this morning but they are still very wet - it's not 'weathered' yet, but it poured yesterday and we didn't have any leaks worth a mention, about 5 random tiny drops from the ceiling I think this morning and it was totally lovely.

BUT we had to clear out by 11 so I bundled it into the car quite early, and then had to put it up again as soon as we got back. It is now half up in the garden (pole, some pegs, ahem, not properly as we haven't the space)

I am hoping it brightens up today, it's certainly windy.

It was WONDERFUL having such a lot of head room. That was the best thing, and my 10yo and 6yo and 6mo didn't seem to have any problems with sharing the space. It was totally big enough - we couldn't go out most of the full day we were there, and just sat in the tent, except when ds1 decided to go swimming and it wasn't cramped at all.

Ours was the highest ceiling by a long way and to me being 5ft7 that makes a lot of difference to how much I enjoy it and how much I get the urge to come home, iykwim. I didn't at all really and normally I am keen to get back here.

TIY I think you're quite tall (we've met once - rabbits!) so this might be something you want to consider as a factor.

I couldn't reach the top of the pole inside ours - think it's 2.5m? and the 5m one is even taller.

oh how funny! the rabbits are doing well, you'll be happy to hear smile little escape artists, they LOVE to dig.

good to hear you had enough space, that was my only real concern. There is a glamping place not a million miles from me that has some soulpads, so I think we might take a trip down there to have a look at them IRL before I make a final decision,

drying time could be an issue I guess... esp with our lovely british weather. I'd have to just pitch it at my parents hosue until it dried I suppose as our garden is titchy

MinimalistMommi Fri 02-Aug-13 15:19:57

We just dry/air ours indoors, over the banister or draped over our bed grin just got back from four days/three nights on or 5 metre. It was lovely!

minimalist, I'm not stalking you (promise) but did I see you say on another thread that you're in the south? i was just wondering if you were anywhere near me (w.sussex) and if so whether I could take a look at your pad?? :-D

MinimalistMommi Fri 02-Aug-13 18:42:17

this I'm PM'ing you grin

MinimalistMommi Fri 02-Aug-13 18:47:20

this having just got back from being in it, if you didn't take too much
shit lovely glamping stuff I think a 5m would be fine for family of five but I think it is a good plan to try and check one out IRL first.

We pile our SIM's up during day to make it really spacious for moving around. This morning we woke to the sound of rain and I thought if we had a spend the morning there in rain space wise it would have been very roomy for the children to mess about it etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now