IceyTek

(42 Posts)
MinimalistMommi Sun 21-Jul-13 17:48:46

How long/how many nights will it keep food cold without exchanging freezer blocks half way through?

bico Sun 28-Jul-13 20:34:49

There are only two of us and I was amazed how much I filled the 40l size. I did put more drinks in than I would if it had been smaller but I didn't find it overly big and I liked the fact that I didn't have to plan on doing shopping every day. In fact the only thing I bought whilst we were away for 7 days (6 nights) was milk and that was only because we ran out. Usually I'd end up buying milk every day in hot weather as I never had a coolbox that kept it cool enough to stop it going off.

cool, yes we currently have the 36 quart coleman which i think works out about 40 litres-ish

MinimalistMommi Mon 29-Jul-13 08:09:20

Not sure which size to get now - we tend to need butter cheese and about three pints of milk cold and some little yogurts for the children.

If that is literally all you need it for 25 will be fine. Seriously no wine / gin / fruit and veg though?

MinimalistMommi Mon 29-Jul-13 11:54:09

Forgotten about the fruit and veg blush
I don't drink alcohol so that's not a worry.
So 40 litre then bc of fruit and veg do you think?

I guess it depends on how much you take with you and how often you'd go shopping and buy fresh. We take a cool bag too for everything else and only put fruit and veg in the Iceytek as we create space. Remember it works better when full.

Plus cans of soft drink / fruit juice etc?

MinimalistMommi Mon 29-Jul-13 16:05:54

It's really tough without seeing it in the flesh I think.

bico Mon 29-Jul-13 20:42:54

I would check the measurements on the website. I thought the 40l was big when I first saw it (too big to fit into a kitchen cupboard so it will be stored in my mum's garage!). However it isn't so big inside and the dimensions are not that much bigger than the 25l size.

It made a real change to go camping and not have to think about shopping every day, which is something I usually end up doing. It means I'm happier to go away for longer too. All I have to do now is work out is how to charge my phone when I'm camping and my happiness would be complete grin

Where are you minimalist? If in the north east you're welcome to come and check out my 40k!

MinimalistMommi Tue 30-Jul-13 07:43:23

Yellow thank you, that's lovely of you thanks
Unfortunately I live in the south...grin

MarianForrester Tue 30-Jul-13 08:07:22

After a weekend t a festival with an icey tek, I would just say that you should be aware of how heavy and difficult to carry they are.

It was really good at keeping food cool, but was a trip on its own for someone stronger than me. DH is saying it must go....

oh, and on the phone charging thing, we got a Teck Net charger and it was brilliant for keeping us all going.

MinimalistMommi Tue 30-Jul-13 08:21:42

We car camp so I think this shouldn't be a problem for us?

MarianForrester Tue 30-Jul-13 09:26:12

Yes, that should be fine, am trying to persuade DH to keep ours for that kind of outing smile

bico Tue 30-Jul-13 11:03:55

I agree its quite heavy but if I had to transport it more than a few yards I'd get a fold up luggage trolley to use.

Thanks for the Teck Net recommendation. I've ordered one. I got a Coleman battery operated charger but it was rubbish.

MarianForrester Tue 30-Jul-13 19:13:13

And I've just ordered a trolley grin Icey Tek must stay.....

Yep its a fair point I can't carry our 40l on my own when its full. Mostly because it might have some wine in it! A trolley would be fine and its certainly not a problem between 2.

I've got a powergen charger - fab. 2 full charges for my Android smart phone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now