Bell tent for weekend camping (and beyond??)

(30 Posts)
SparkyUK Fri 19-Jul-13 12:33:43

So, following on from my other thread about needing a new weekend tent, how do the bell-tenters feel about weekending in their bell? Is it overkill? My DH has been hinting about trading in our Vango for a bell (but that is typical for him - he is all about style over functionality. I'm not saying the bell is functional, but I need to do a proper look at whether it will fit our needs.)

I feel like a 4 meter tent would be fine for the weekend (and baker + ball have them very inexpensive at the moment -- anyone with experience of them) but worry about longer than that. We did do a week in the 4.1 seconds and it was fine - larger would have been nice. We are only me, DH and two DSs (2.5 and 4.5) But do people find ducking to get in and out a real pain though? How would you arrange 4 SIMS?

The 5 meter would defintiely suit us a week-long tent and seems to have so many benefits space and height wise (I could stand up even at the sides!), but is it overkill for a weekend? It obviously costs a lot more, so would definitely need to trade in my beloved vango, I'm also concerned about the weight. I really want something I can manage myself as currently I find the vango a struggle.

SparkyUK Tue 20-Aug-13 13:55:48

Update, because I'm still so excited. I ordered a 5 meter bell from Karma Canvas last week and only got around to pitching it last night. It is fab and I sort of want to move in smile

It took us just over 20 minutes, going at a leisurely pace. And that included work we won't have to do next time (tieing the guy ropes on). And it was just less stressful than pitching the other tents as it is a no-brainer really. I felt like with my other tents I always had to remember the best way to get them up.

Anyway, Karma Canvas were great. Super helpful with all my questions and emails. And the Karma Canvas ZIG comes with a mesh door which I think will come in handy.

Off to find last minute camp site where there are isn't rain expected saturday.

shirazplease Wed 21-Aug-13 21:45:12

Hurrah Sparky!

We're just back after almost 3 weeks in our 5m Bell Tent. Was amazing. Wasn't at all fed up of it by the end.

Agreed with the easy pitching. Bell tents are good for your marriage / relationship!

MummyPigsFatTummy Wed 21-Aug-13 22:46:47

Missed this thread while away but really glad to hear you got your bell tent Sparky. I also agree a 5m is a must once you are more than a couple (and I have had a 4m and a 5m). I was in Eweleaze this weekend and put up and took down the tent almost on my own (I had help with putting in pegs and checking the pole was upright but that was about it) and I am only 5'4" if that is any help.

We keep everything in the one bag but that does make it a lot heavier than when we used to keep the groundsheet and poles separate so doing that is an option for when you are on your own.

V jealous of your mesh door - we often end up with lots of bugs at the apex of the tent which would be avoided by having one so a good call that, I think.

We also do single nights, weekends and longer trips in the bell and to be honest it is as easy and quick as a family pop up when you are used to it.

Have a great time at the weekend grin

shirazplease Wed 21-Aug-13 22:53:28

MPFT - tip for bugs in the apex:

Drink the best part of a bottle of cheap wine.

Take large beach towel

Open the door

Dance wildly with towel

Wasps / mosquitoes / flies all drop dead laughing disappear in fear!

MummyPigsFatTummy Thu 22-Aug-13 00:14:15

grinshiraz. I will try that in France. Should earn me the title of mad British camper of the season with a bit of luck. The wine drinking part will be no problem at least!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now