ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Outwell Montana - can I pitch it alone?

(16 Posts)
AnnaFiveTowns Wed 17-Jul-13 07:53:06

I'm going camping in Tenby this weekend with DC but no DH. When we usually go, DH pitches the tent, with a little assistance from me and DS. I'm worried that I may not be able to do it alone, although my 12 year old nephew, who is quite strong, may be with us. My DS is 9.

Does anyone have any experience of pitching a Montana alone? I'm 5'4". Would it physically be too difficult or am I just being pathetic?

VivaLeBeaver Wed 17-Jul-13 07:57:18

Is it a tunnel tent. I've got an Outwell coloration five man tent and i can pitch it myself.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 17-Jul-13 07:58:05

Colorado even.

MojitoMagnet Wed 17-Jul-13 08:06:36

I don't have experience of this particular tent but have just looked at pictures and it's not hugely dissimilar to ones I have.

I think you would be reasonably OK with the assistance of your DN and DS so long as they are sensible lads who will follow instructions. You will need them to hold things steady and brace one side while you pull the other side into position, that sort of thing. I wouldn't attempt a tent that size entirely unassisted though.

MrsPnut Wed 17-Jul-13 08:46:24

I have this tent and have pitched it with my 6 yo and 15 yo (the 6 yo was far more use) in the pouring rain.

It's very easy to pitch but I would advise watching the pitching video on youtube - there's a bloke who pitches it by himself and it really is the easiest way to do it.

AnnaFiveTowns Wed 17-Jul-13 08:46:24

Not sure if it's a tunnel tent. Not sure about DS being sensible either! DN is though and DD although she's only seven.

I think I'll be brave and risk it. I mean, what's the worst that can happen?shock

Also just checked weather forecast for Tenby and for Sunday, monday and Tuesday it s forecast heavy rain showers. Bloody typical!

AnnaFiveTowns Wed 17-Jul-13 08:48:39

Thanks Pnut, that's reassuring. I know what you mean about the 6 year old being more help. grin

I will have a look at the video too. Maybe even have a trial run in the garden beforehand.

AnnaFiveTowns Wed 17-Jul-13 08:50:03

Sorry - Mrs Pnut.

youbethemummylion Wed 17-Jul-13 09:00:27

I think you will be fine and in my experience if other campers see you struggling they will often offer their help. This has happened to me on many occasions (rubbish tent putter upper)

DelayedActionMouseMaker Wed 17-Jul-13 10:19:08

We have this tent, is it a 6? I've put ours up alone, but its a bugger, took me hours, and i had no kids in tow. I realise this makes me sound negative, but I struggled, and I was very used to putting it up. I think you'll find it valuable to try it at home first with a bit of help if you've never done it before. The most challenging bit is when you lift the first set of poles up, becUse they're fucking heavy and you need someone to hold that bit up whilst you guy rope it at one end so it holds.

AnnaFiveTowns Wed 17-Jul-13 12:13:33

This is what concerns me slightly as I seem to recall the pulling up bit as quite physically hard. I remember watching a couple next to us struggle for a while with the same tent. My DH helped them in the end as it was clearly their " first time". So maybe someone would help. Think I'll try it in the garden first.

DelayedActionMouseMaker Wed 17-Jul-13 14:12:50

We've just bought a pop up weekender for this very reason. Love the Monty, but to me it's a week long tent, not a one or two nighter.

GobblersKnob Wed 17-Jul-13 22:27:31

I can do ours easily by myself, but only this way, not possible single handedly if you follow the official instructions imo.

And yes tbf, we have a 'weekend tent' would not take the Monty for less than 4/5 nights, too much faff.

AnnaFiveTowns Wed 17-Jul-13 23:47:21

Thanks for the link. Blimey, he's quick! Will try that technique tomorrow in the garden. We are going until Wednesday, otherwise I would just take our little 3 person tent. I think we might be a bit squashed in it for 5 nights though, especially if the weather breaks.

GobblersKnob Thu 18-Jul-13 08:12:12

Yeah, I'd suggest doing it without all the running, looks like he's had too many coffees before he got going grin

It's still a much more efficient and easier way to put it up though, even if you move at the speed of a normal camper.

AnnaFiveTowns Thu 18-Jul-13 12:55:51

gringringrin Don't worry, I won't be running in this heat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now