Please help my DS (7) find his perfect campsite!

(19 Posts)
Sparkleandshine Tue 16-Jul-13 13:23:17

I have promised DS he can pick our next campsite as a treat as he is currently on some slightly yucky medicine.

His (very simple) requirement:
On or very very close to the beach

All I'd like is, under a 4 hour drive from heathrow and a reasonably quiet location.

Any suggestions appreciated!!

DonutForMyself Tue 16-Jul-13 13:39:23

We've stayed at Searles in Hunstanton, right on the beach for candy floss, ice creams and donkey rides, and its part of a holiday park so there's an indoor (& outdoor) pool for when the weather is not so beach friendly.

Otherwise I can highly recommend Emberton Park near Olney (Bucks). Its not near the beach but there's a fab sandy play park, along with a couple of other parks, lakes and nature walks and a little cafe/shop. Its walking distance into Olney which is a pretty market town with shops, takeaways etc.

hillbilly Tue 16-Jul-13 13:46:49

Ewelease?

Sparkleandshine Tue 16-Jul-13 14:49:13

searles in hunstanton may be just the place (May be a leeetle holiday parky for me but I think the DS's would love the pool!)

Ewelease looks superb....

I have given him free reign on the camping book and he is currently very keen on this www.isle-of-mull.net/accommodation/wild-camping/ - anything to deter him would be great!

Madamecastafiore Tue 16-Jul-13 14:51:38

Clippsby Hall in Norfolk is fab. Bmx's track, pool, play area, zip wires but all set in big woodland so seems really spaced out and quiet.

Madamecastafiore Tue 16-Jul-13 14:52:10

There is a beach very nearby but not sure what it called.

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 16-Jul-13 15:31:52

Could you let him loose on this list with instructions as to which counties he can look at?: www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=354

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 16-Jul-13 15:37:25

Actually, we have never been, but Kingsdown International Camping Centre in Kent is somewhere I have been meaning to go since DH found it a while back. Sea views (apparently) and it allows campfires - sounds pretty perfect to me!

Although I am not sure what the beaches are like in that area....

Otherwise, if you are going in August, I would second hillbilly in recommending Eweleaze. Hard to beat.

Sparkleandshine Wed 17-Jul-13 12:33:36

thanks for these! mmm mummypig - we arrived at his decision to go to a campsite on the the Isle of Mull by me telling him precisely where to look grin

justforachange Wed 17-Jul-13 20:51:56

Well if you flew to Glasgow and hired a car, you could easy get to Oban for the Mull ferry in under 4 hours. Just a thought .... wink

Daisybell1 Wed 17-Jul-13 21:18:32

Mull would be wonderful, I love love love it there

how can you turn down camping at Calgary Bay

<unhelpful>

ChippyMinton Wed 17-Jul-13 21:21:46

Normans Bay, Pevensey, near Eastbourne.

zgaze Wed 17-Jul-13 21:25:24

Kingsdown's a great site, think the beach is pebbly though. The best beach campsite I've stayed at is Hillend on the Gower in west Wales. Stunning.

Crocodilio Wed 17-Jul-13 21:27:57

Can second Hillend, tis lovely there.

Sparkleandshine Thu 18-Jul-13 16:15:07

Have to say Daisybell, dispite the 10 hour drive shock I am tempted looking at it - it looks so beautiful grin

Hillend looks superb.... this may be the one!

curlew Thu 18-Jul-13 16:18:14

Folkestone Warren. The beach is pebbly, but the water is lovely and clear, and it's down a winding unmade road, so it's never busy.

KeziaCunningham Thu 18-Jul-13 19:02:06

Three Cliffs Bay is coming in at just over three hours away according to Google. IMO the best beach campsite in the UK.

Sparkleandshine Sat 20-Jul-13 13:58:09

OK, one last question! Anyone know any in France.... Clearly would be north but just thinking, in not its the gower peninsula!

although am secretly contemplating whisking DS to the isle of mull in a two man tent....and leaving DH with DS2!

Sparkleandshine Sat 20-Jul-13 13:58:34

*if not it's the Gower peninsula

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now