Camping Cookbook Recommendation Please

(6 Posts)
OutIntoTheBlue Mon 15-Jul-13 11:32:41

Can anyone recommend a Camping Cookbook? Planning our summer camping trip and trying to decide what to feed us with that doesn't mean the relentless barbecued meat + potato + salad every day for a fortnight that we endured enjoyed last time we did a long trip.

I've had a quick look on Amazon and there are a few to choose form but at full price I don't want to buy one and find its all too fiddly or just BBQ-variations so we don't end up using it.

Failing that, what are your favourite camping recipes, I need inspiration!

hillbilly Mon 15-Jul-13 11:49:25

I would say just cook the kind of things you would normally cook at home - minus oven recipes. Anything stovetop would work. Our favourites apart from bbq are thai curry, sausage or veggie casserole, omelettes, pasta with any sauce. Alternatively you can bbq fish very nicely smile

MummyPigsFatTummy Mon 15-Jul-13 12:40:23

This one looks quite good (I don't have it so don't know for sure) and at £3.99 you can't go far wrong: www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?productId=276947&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&searchTerm=campinmg+cookbook

Otherwise, a One-Pot cookbook might be useful.

We often cook things like chilli, bolognese etc. before we go, freeze portions and then allow them to defrost in the coolbox and just heat them up in a pan. Add rice/pasta and you are done.

I've got the one MPFT linked to and for 3.99 its definitely worth it. I've also got the cool camping cook book. But with a bit of imagination you can cook almost anything and I take it as a particular challenge to cook stuff camping that you wouldn't expect. Like pizza, bread, cake, crumbles and roast dinners! Made easier by having a Cobb....

OutIntoTheBlue Tue 16-Jul-13 15:06:57

Thanks, I've ordered the Family Camping Cookbook, looking forward to doing some meal planning!

YellowDinosaur bread, crumbles and roast dinners?? I am well envious impressed smile

OutIntoTheBlue you need a Cobb BBQ then you can cook anything you like!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now