Is this any good for 2/3 people?

(13 Posts)
AmbrosiaCreamedMice Mon 15-Jul-13 00:35:33

www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_910607_langId_-1_categoryId_236918#tab3

Or anything similar for the same kind of price? I could really do with something I can stand up in, my knees ain't the best.

MummyPigsFatTummy Mon 15-Jul-13 08:43:44

I am no expert on the technical stuff but I know that you want as high a hydrostatic head as possible for waterproofness. 1500mm is not very high I don't think. As it looks like you are in Ireland you might want to look for something higher (having had 2 weeks of solid rain camping in Ireland once). The Go Outdoor web site has good technical pages and also good deals on tents. Milkets has also reduced theirs. Although the halfords one is a bargain it might turn out to be a miserable one.

hotbot Mon 15-Jul-13 09:38:46

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping/tents/family
Has some reasonable tents, better than halfords I think.

hotbot Mon 15-Jul-13 09:40:39

The reviews for the 60.00 one is good

AmbrosiaCreamedMice Mon 15-Jul-13 10:19:10

Thanks so much. I haven't a clue.

There are a couple on that site for 60ish. Which one did you mean?

This one has the head thingy at 2000mm. Cheap too! Any good, do you think?
www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-atakama-5-5-berth-family-tent-p143499

hotbot Mon 15-Jul-13 16:50:17

Yes it's got good reviews and you can stand up in it.

AmbrosiaCreamedMice Mon 15-Jul-13 18:08:37

Thanks Hotbot. sportsdirect.com have lots of other bits dead cheap too.

Gulp.

AmbrosiaCreamedMice Mon 15-Jul-13 18:09:39

Thanks for the advice MummyPigsFatTummy.

dippingmytoeinagain Mon 15-Jul-13 18:42:26

It also looks as if the one you posted to start off with doesn't have a sewn in groundsheet in the centre section which can be a bit (lot) draughty and if its very wet underfoot, you could get some seepage....

Maybe a wander around a local camping shop might help you decide what works for you. Good luck! smile

Jins Mon 15-Jul-13 18:47:04

We had that very tent a few years ago. It was ok. We bought cheaply to see if camping was for us. DH loved it, DC and I hated it. grin

Unfortunately instead of recognising this I was persuaded that it was the quality of tent that had caused a poor experience so we bought a canvas bungalow on eBay and tried again.

We've got a caravan now grin

AmbrosiaCreamedMice Mon 15-Jul-13 19:40:48

It's Ireland. It WILL be wet and draughty.

Cheers Jin, I'll accept your kind invitation to go to your caravan instead. grin

I've camped before and HATED it, hence cheap tent. <cries>

Bert2e Mon 15-Jul-13 19:46:36

Have a look at Go Outdoors, the Rock 4 is good as is the Mojave 5, sewn in ground sheets, carpets available and the Mojave 5 has a good sized living area for those days when it rains all day!

www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-rock-4-tent-p207083

Jins Tue 16-Jul-13 07:57:57

In that case OP I'd suggest getting the cheapest tent you can find, one that looks like it won't do the job.

You'll never have to camp again grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now