Has anyone swapped from a camper van to a caravan and not regretted it?

(15 Posts)
Ledkr Thu 11-Jul-13 17:21:57

We have a mazda bongo which we love.
It was our dream but we have found we do t use it as often as we thought and find it expensive to run and maintain (2 lots if insurance tax etc)
We also wanted to use it all year but with four of us we need the awning up and it's quite cold in winter.
I'm trying to persuade dh that a caravan would be better but even I'm not 100% convinced.
We have done festivals in our van and also have a lovely 3 wk French holiday each year and do the odd weekend away.
Anyone got any words of wisdom?

Ledkr Thu 11-Jul-13 22:46:03

Ledkr Fri 12-Jul-13 16:31:34

Hellooo last quick bump then I'm sulking grin

GettingVerySleepy Fri 12-Jul-13 17:17:23

All I know to say is that you'll have more difficulty reversing with a caravan. Not exactly words of wisdom but at least I've bumped for you.

Ledkr Fri 12-Jul-13 17:48:28

I can only assume the answers a big fat no lol.

Jins Fri 12-Jul-13 17:51:36

Well I've not moved from a camper but I love our caravan. We use it all year and its given us some fabulous holidays. Loads more space now the kids are enormous as well. We had a tent before and I truly hated it.

I originally wanted a camper but quickly realised it wasn't going to suit our kind of holiday. The caravan has been amazing for us though

Ledkr Fri 12-Jul-13 18:03:34

The van is fab but they are so expensive to run unless you can afford a really expensive one then there's tax insurance and mot.
We need to put the awning up so we can offload stuff from van to use it and as I said its very cold unless weather is great.

Jins Fri 12-Jul-13 18:59:22

I'd go and have a look at some caravans to see if you can imagine holidaying in one. We tour quite happily with ours and don't need the awning although it does make it nicer. The fact that as soon as we'd unhitched the car became available was the decider for me (oh and the shower which is wonderful)

It's a big change from a bongo though. Do you know anyone with a caravan that would let you have a look around?

millimat Sat 13-Jul-13 21:02:41

Again, never had camper van but love our caravan. Can't imagine being in a tent, nor having to pack everything up every time you want to go out.

CheeseStrawCraving Sun 14-Jul-13 09:27:56

We grew up holidaying in a VW Kamper (four kids and my dad) and absolutely loved it, and my cousins did the same in a caravan and loved that. We have a small caravan (two of us plus dog and baby on the way) and the advantages for us are that we can park up at a site and detach the caravan so we don't have to spend all hols negotiating winding roads in Devon, we can nip out to the shops for forgotten things or a pint of milk easily, and you don't have to up sticks and pack away each time you want to go further afield for a day out. It certainly opens up your choices having a caravan. On the down side a bit of a pain to manouvre and you tend to take longer to get to your destination. Surely you would need an awning with both anyway, unless you are thinking of buying a mega caravan? HTH! Enjoy!

snowmummy Sun 14-Jul-13 19:51:47

I can't see us swapping the camper for a caravan. I just love the van too much!

Ledkr Sun 14-Jul-13 20:30:27

What have you got snow ?
What I'd really like it a massive one with a shower n all.
Now that would be nice.
We have an awning which you can unhook seal and drive away. So we can get out and about in the van.
We only use the van to sleep in and cook and get water but mostly have bbqs anyway.
We are off next Sunday I can't wait.
If never return to package hols.

Jins Sun 14-Jul-13 22:51:21

See I always thought I wanted a big motorhome until it registered that we'd have to stow everything away when we went out for the day. Also the kids would have to come out with us instead of chilling in the caravan as they do now.

At this particular time the caravan is perfect for us. We've got two massive teenagers. If we'd bought a camper along the lines of the original plan we'd struggle for space and get on each others nerves.

In a few years it'll just be the two of us going away and we've thought about swapping to a camper then. I doubt it'll happen as I'm just too comfortable in the caravan and would seriously miss my spacious shower room grin

WhoNickedMyName Mon 15-Jul-13 20:44:52

We went from tent to caravan and I absolutely love it. The only way I'd do a campervan would be if we got a huge motorhome and towed a small car. We did look at motorhomes but the expense of taxing, insuring and maintaining it took it out of our league.

Towing and manouvering is easier than I thought too, even I can reverse it.

We have yet to use the awning although we plan to try it out in Devon this summer. So far we've never done more than 3 nights so it's never seemed worth putting it up.

Have you any caravan sales centres near you? Go and have a nose around a few vans to get an idea of how much space and what kind of layout would work for you.

snowmummy Mon 15-Jul-13 23:43:25

We've got a '96 t4 westfalia and its brilliant. We use it for hols, and as a second vehicle. Brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now