ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Hammocks anyone?

(17 Posts)
hillbilly Mon 08-Jul-13 23:25:39

I'm looking for a hammock to take camping this summer. I'm a bit confused about ones with spreader bars and those without. Am I right in thinking that those without are better?

RunsWithScissors Mon 08-Jul-13 23:30:25

I would always go without a spreader bar. Also prefer ones that are a solid fabric vs ones that are woven like a net.

Just put ours up on Saturday in the garden, so comfy!

hz Tue 09-Jul-13 09:43:10

Any good ones anyone can recommend? That aren't hideously expensive....

hillbilly Tue 09-Jul-13 13:33:05

I also posted in Homes and Garden and gots some recommendations here smile

hz Tue 09-Jul-13 13:53:20

Thanks hillbilly, I have been directed to that Hammocks.co.uk site by others too. Seems a bit expensive though - is that the sort of price you where expecting to pay? I am renownedly tight....

hillbilly Tue 09-Jul-13 14:03:27

I did not want to pay that much, but I am a sucker for a good quality item and I have heard very good reports about these ones.

hillbilly Tue 09-Jul-13 14:11:25

Also in the heat I would want cotton. I found this site too.

hz Tue 09-Jul-13 16:53:53

Oh, like the silk 'traveller' ones. Much more reasonable price and parachute silk has got to be good, right?

marmiteandhoney Tue 09-Jul-13 20:26:06

I have one- not for camping but for my garden.
No spreader bars, and not woven so my boy doesn't poke at it and pull it to bits . It's heaven to lie there and watch the clouds, even in the rain. I've got a family sized one, so there's always a bit more space for whoever climbs in to join me. And when the baby nods off, and I need to get out, it magically turns into a baby-sized hammock (you become your own spreader bars, effectively, so it's the perfect fit for whoever's inside).

hillbilly Tue 09-Jul-13 20:40:08

Thanks Marmite, is yours made of canvas then? I saw ones which were called Brazilian which did not have the loose weave of the Mexican ones.

marmiteandhoney Tue 09-Jul-13 21:59:08

Um, it's not woven like a net. It obviously is woven, but not with holes.

wohmum Tue 09-Jul-13 22:11:51

I've got a parachute silk one from here http://www.wellhunghammocks.com/our-hammocks/travel-hammocks .

it's dead easy to put up and so comfy . wraps up nice and small.

perfect for 1 adult and 1 child to lounge in or 2 kids.

hillbilly Wed 10-Jul-13 11:31:03

Thanks wohmum, their shop is in Camden so I might go and have a look and feel!

hz Wed 10-Jul-13 19:15:01

That's great Wohum, nice and compact and come with hooks and rope . Perfect! Thanks.

NonnyMuss Tue 16-Jul-13 14:14:48

Just returning to this thread to say thanks for the hammock idea Hillbilly, yet another piece of Mumsnet camping brilliance <baaah>

Slight downside, the hammock is now installed at the end of the garden and I'm doing even less housework than before (is that even possible?) grin

NonnyMuss Tue 16-Jul-13 14:31:33

(And I may have accidentally installed solar fairy lights and hanging tealight holders with citronella candles on the side of the garden shed to make my own little glamping zone... blush )

grin

hillbilly Tue 16-Jul-13 17:07:49

You're very welcome NonnyMuss. Unfortunately here it has not made it further that my wish list sad but hopefully i'll have it before we go to France in August.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now