Dithering-should I buy a 4 or 5 m bell tent?

(7 Posts)
MinimalistMommi Thu 04-Jul-13 17:29:45

Glad you chose a 5m tent grin

NightScentedStock Wed 03-Jul-13 22:58:54

Thank you for all the info.

I took all your advice and bought the 5m one today from SoulPad-very excited!!!

grin

Lovecat Wed 03-Jul-13 10:09:42

Another vote for 5m - unless all you want to do is sleep in your tent, you will need the extra space. There are 3 of us and it works nicely, giving us a decent living area in case of rain.

5m bells seriously don't look that big when they're up - my sister's tunnel tent has a bigger footprint.

I can also pitch our 5m single handed - the pole is a pain as I am a shortarse, but it can be done.

Lavenderloves Tue 02-Jul-13 19:19:26

5m i can pitch it on my own!

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 02-Jul-13 19:11:40

Definitely 5m. We have only one DD but I wouldn't go back to a 5m. You will definitely need a 5m with five of you.

And they are not at all hard to put up. I reckon I could put up a 5m on my own, although it is definitely easier with help from DH (mainly because of lifting and positioning the centre pole). It takes about 10 minutes with a bit of practice and that is WAAAAY quicker than many family tents. And as shiraz says, you are unlikely to have trouble with pitch sizes given how large many modern tents are.

shirazplease Tue 02-Jul-13 18:29:39

5m all the way I'm afraid. I've got 2 kids in a 5m and I don't feel that it's too much. Also 5m not that big compared to some of the modern cities tents

NightScentedStock Tue 02-Jul-13 17:28:25

Hello.

As the title says, I am not sure which to go for.

I have 3 DSs, aged 12, 3 and 2.

Would perhaps like to camp with one of ds1s friends too.

My concerns are-is it a problem at campsites having such a big tent, especially abroad? Will it be ridiculously heavy and hard to put up? Would a 4m tent be big enough for me, dp and 3 boys?

Any advice would be great.

I have just measured the garden and a 5m one could just be put up in it (there's about 7x7m grass area)

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now