(12 Posts)
cyclecamper Sun 07-Jul-13 20:32:32

Done and shared.

FadBook Sat 06-Jul-13 19:03:13

Signed

Bump

smile

hz Sat 06-Jul-13 18:59:28

Excellent, just seen on BBC News that Poundland has stopped selling them. I think the end of Chinese lanterns is nigh but let's help the cause along!

lurcherlover Fri 05-Jul-13 22:49:01

Done. Horrible things.

NightScentedStock Fri 05-Jul-13 22:45:04

Signed. Thanks for posting

SparkyUK Fri 05-Jul-13 22:10:41

Done! thanks for posting

FringeEvent Fri 05-Jul-13 13:48:26

Thanks for posting about this. I've also signed and shared. I've never understood why they continue to be so popular, and legally sold, to be honest. Surely you have no control over where it ends up and very few people would be able to retrieve their lantern to dispose of it safely even if they cared enough to, so how is this any different from other forms of littering?

MummyPigsFatTummy Fri 05-Jul-13 13:43:18

Agreed. Well done on raising this. We are off this weekend with friends. I have signed the petition and shared on Facebook.

hz Fri 05-Jul-13 13:31:15

Bump. Cos it's important and I bet people are considering letting some go on this balmy weekend.

hillbilly Tue 02-Jul-13 13:49:06

I totally agree. DH bought some a few years ago and after we used the first one I thought about how dangerous they would be if they cam down in a field of tents. So I have banned them ever since.

shirazplease Tue 02-Jul-13 13:42:45

Done, and posted on to my FB page too

hz Tue 02-Jul-13 13:37:33

Yes, yes, I know they are terribly pretty and everything but seriously they are such a hazard for so many reasons.
They cause fires, like the massive fire yesterday in the West Midlands, they get into animal feed and puncture the animals insides causing pain and death, they get wrapped around wildlife (Have you seen that awful photo of a dead barn owl entangled in a lantern?), they are mistaken for distress flares by the coast guard, and once they have burned out they are simply litter!
All for a few moments if 'ah, isn't it pretty'. No it isn't and they should be banned. This has been a bug bear of mine for a while but now the cause is gaining some pace following that huge fire. I'm afraid campers are some of the main culprits, makes me want to jump up and down an shout on so many otherwise lovely summer camping evenings! There is a petition by the RSPCA you can sign here.

Rant over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now