Tell me about camping busy-ness in France.

(6 Posts)
ShoeWhore Tue 02-Jul-13 11:12:01

I agree, after 15th Aug everything quietens down and it is always a bit calmer inland away from the coast. Pitch sizes tend to be more generous inland as well.

French campsites are nice though. If they are well laid out then often the actual camping bit is quite peaceful even if there is lots going on around the pool/bar.

Blackcathaireverywhere Mon 01-Jul-13 21:23:52

Thank you for the replies. I've been looking around and have found some smaller sites in the dordogne which look a bit less likely to be crazy busy. Maybe a longer drive is what is needed!

I'm also very interested in L'hirondelle....looks wonderful!

justwondering72 Mon 01-Jul-13 14:45:36

Busiest holiday time tends to be btw 14 July and 14 August. And the busiest sites will be the biggies, especially the coastal ones and ones with attached water parks and other attractions. I personally would avoid them then but thousands of people seem to have al lot of fun every year!

cheerup Mon 01-Jul-13 11:16:38

We've never been in peak season but end of August (18th ish onwards) is fine. We went to L'hirondelle last year, arriving 20th Aug and it was wonderful. Very out of the way but beautiful and peaceful with enough going on to keep the children happy. Not great for older teenagers as no disco or youth activities but perfect for toddlers and active primary age kids.

We're going to a big Italian site this year for the first time but have deliberately made it the last week of our holiday at the very end of Aug in the hope that it will be slightly less frenetic - Park Albatros.

googietheegg Sun 30-Jun-13 10:23:56

I live near one in the south of France and yes, August is packed! July not so much.

Blackcathaireverywhere Sun 30-Jun-13 10:16:38

We bought camping gear last year and camped a few times last year and only once so far this year. Each time we've camped I have swung madly from, 'I love this and we should camp for the whole of August next year!', to 'what on earth are we doing'!

A friend has suggested we camp with them next summer in France and I wondered if I can have some honest opinions on what the larger sites are like. My friend likes the large sites with lots going on.

So....in the Eurocamp brochure, the pools look fantastic. My kids would adore them. But, in the pictures there is no-one there! In August, are they completely packed and unpleasant? With kids having to be assertive to get a go on waterslides etc? I've seen a few photos on tripadvisor which look pretty grim.

What I would ideally like is a smallish, laid back site with great pools with space to move. Does that exist?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now