Suggestions for a tent upgrade anyone?

(7 Posts)
NorbertDentressangle Thu 20-Jun-13 14:23:06

Wow that looks like a really quick tent to put up!

Mind you, I guess its the putting away that can be the PITA (I am still traumatized by my inability to put away the pop-up play tent that the DC had as toddlers! I would fight with it for ages but never mastered it blush)

Lovecat Thu 20-Jun-13 12:44:09

I've got a Coleman Instant 4 as my wet-weather tent (I don't take the Bell if it's wild/muddy camping) and although it is just for 4 people you can definitely fit a double airbeds into each pod - rooms are at the back and living area at the front, great height for standing up properly, SIG.

It's not a pop up but it's very very easy and quick to put up single handed. Not so easy to take down and get back in the bag but if you get your DC to sit on it and squeeze the air out it's doable single-handed!

They also do an Instant 8 (the instant 6 seems pretty much the same as the 4 only without a separate bedroom, ie sleeps 6 and no living area), but only it seems in America, although you can find them on eBay and Amazon:

Instant 4

Instant 8

NorbertDentressangle Thu 20-Jun-13 08:41:31

Thank you for those ideas.

I've had a quick look and the Vango Icarus 600 looks like the sort of thing I had in mind.

I love the idea of something even bigger Harriet but not sure the amount of times we use it would warrant it. Also I may well brave taking the DC camping on my own one day so want something I'm not going to struggle with!

I'll read some reviews and continue browsing after I've done the school run.

Princesspond Thu 20-Jun-13 00:58:02

We have a vango Icarus, easy to put up available in different berths, has a SIG and can add a porch extension for extra space.

HarrietSchulenberg Thu 20-Jun-13 00:48:32

Go for an 8 sleeper and give yourself some extra room. I have a Vango Oregon 800 and although it's mahooosive I can put it up by myself (as long as it's not windy, as if it is I need to enlist ds1 to hold it down).

Sleeping pods are at either end and can fit 4 in each end. They have dividers so you can have 2 lots of 2 at each end. Living area is enormous. The whole thing has a fitted groundsheet so there's no chance of creepy crawlies or sudden floods unless a child leaves the door open.

Look for 8 sleeper tunnel tents and you'll find something similar.

IloveJudgeJudy Thu 20-Jun-13 00:33:08

I always recommend this tent - the Hi-Gear Voyager 6 from Go Outdoors. DB has it. It's a lovely size. The bedrooms are at the back, living space at the front. You can buy a porch to go with it and extend the living space. We had 6 adults and 6 DC sitting around tables in the living area, along with the cooking stuff and utensils, etc. I really like it. DB has (not by choice!) camped in some dreadful weather and the tent has coped with it all. It takes him on his own about 20 mins to get the main bit up and he's not tall.

NorbertDentressangle Sun 16-Jun-13 19:17:24

We only camp for a few nights every year at the moment but when we do we're finding that our tent doesn't meet our needs entirely so want to upgrade. I know you ladies in the camping section are clued up so I'm hoping you'll be able to recommend something suitable.

There are 4 of us ( 2 adults plus teenage DD, 8 yo DS)

We currently have a Coleman Ridgeline 4 like this.

What we're discovering doesn't suit us:
-sleeping pods are too small for 2 single airbeds in each pod
-central living area has loose groundsheet which is a PITA

What I think we want:
- 6 berth tent with 2 pods for 3 people to give a bit of extra space for airbeds
-quite like ones I've seen with sleeping area at the back and living area (that you can stand up in) at the front

Any suggestions please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now