Camping gadget fathers day gift ideas HELP!

(11 Posts)

Its for my dad, who is currently camping in te Alps. He is 70 and likes a good camping gadget.

Any good ideas? No one say bunting grin

MummyPigsFatTummy Thu 13-Jun-13 10:24:31

The Alps - good man! Presumably a backpacker sort of camper then?

Maybe a Leatherman-type knife if he doesn't already own one (unlikely)? Or Opinels are popular and quite retro in feel. Otherwise firestarter things like flints are quite good gadgets.

Maybe he would like something collapsible, like a kettle say?http://www.wackypracticals.com/pack-away-kettle

Our kelly kettle got lots of man-lust from other friends when we took it on camp but might be a bit bulky.

A biolite stove is probably the ultimate gadget for Father's Day but sadly a bit pricey: www.alloutdoor.co.uk/biolite?gclid=CLyHmLPa4LcCFTHJtAodPjsARw

This looks quite good too: www.gerbergear.co.uk/Outdoor/Tools/Steady-Tool_31-001043

MummyPigsFatTummy Thu 13-Jun-13 10:25:20

What great ideas! He is fairly minimalist. He LOVES knives and often whittles stuff hmm, so off to look at that knife now! And flint is a really good idea.

Thank you, going to look at all your links now <v grateful>

MummyPigsFatTummy Thu 13-Jun-13 11:17:39

You are welcome Kvass, thanks. DH is a camping gadget man too (and I am not far behind him blush) so we are drowning under the weight of all our knives/firestarting gadgets/collapsible items....

Hope you find something he likes smile

Love the look of the opinel knives, am probably going to get one of these. Thank you mummy pig's tummy <rubs tummy thankfully>

MummyPigsFatTummy Thu 13-Jun-13 15:08:47

Oh just in case you haven't already gone for the Opinel yet, here is another fire/knife gadget I forgot about: www.lightmyfire.com/products/sparking-fire-collection/swedish-fireknife.aspx

DH also has one of these hmm

tobiasfunke Thu 13-Jun-13 15:12:59

www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9584991

How about this. It's a make your own knife kit- you whittle the handle and attach the blade. DH is into all that bushcrafty stuff and he loved this.

I ordered the Opinel knife, nice one with oak handle, hope he will like it. Love the fireknife and make your own knife too, will keep them in mind for Christmas! All these lovely knifey things, who knew...grin

MummyPigsFatTummy Thu 13-Jun-13 19:21:19

Cool - hope he loves it grin Off now to try to think of something for DH who is all knifed up unfortunately.

Blu Thu 13-Jun-13 21:50:46

Opinel knives are lovely, and good because you can lock the blade.

For next time, what about a pie-iron? here or loads of models here Not for carting in your pack over the Alps perhaps, but great for campfire cooking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now