Dover Calais or Plymouth roscoff?

(11 Posts)
professorpoopsnagle Sat 22-Jun-13 09:38:30

We do the overnighter ferry if possible. We justify it by feeling that our holiday starts at that point. Absolutely agree that it depends on the crossing and a rough one is horrible.

To cut down on food costs, we have a meal at Morrisons cafe before we board. Then we take picnic stuff on board to eat in the cabin. We also take a big bottle of water and cocktails . We have also seen people take a coolbox up as you have power sockets in the cabin (might need an adapter). We have also taken the car dvd player for the kids.

millimat Fri 21-Jun-13 22:46:43

I desperately tried to justify hull - zebrugge over Dover calais this year. Same money as you, but figured we'd sleep on ferry from Hull. For us its the journey in the UK that justify the more expensive route. But even with an overnight stop both ways, Dover Calais was cheaper. You need to account for meal costs on the ferry - that added nearly £100 onto a return crossing. I failed sad. Dover Calais it is.

poorbuthappy Fri 21-Jun-13 22:25:09

Did the ferry once, swore never again. As a family we much prefer to be in our car, in charge of our own destiny as it were. grin

ShoeWhore Fri 21-Jun-13 22:23:47

Oh the dcs loved the ferry though - total highlight of the entire holiday! I mean the beds pull down out of the ceiling - what more could you wish for??

ShoeWhore Fri 21-Jun-13 22:22:53

Do you get seasick?

We did Portsmouth-Caen a few years back - overnight on the way there and daytime on the way back. Got v little sleep on the way and omg dh and I felt so rough on the way back.

Trying the tunnel this year instead - reckon we can do it with one overnighter. Will report back!

caroldecker Mon 17-Jun-13 20:48:03

I hate ferries, so stuck on the train

caroldecker Mon 17-Jun-13 20:47:23

I hate ferries, so stuck on the train

AmandinePoulain Mon 17-Jun-13 20:31:47

Plymouth-Roscoff every time! We did Dover-Calais once and I swore never again, and that was pre dcs! The petrol cost us a fortune and it's far more pleasant to be stuck on a ferry for hours, where you can sleep lying flat, walk around and get some air than being stuck in a car. It really depends where you're going though?

LifeofPo Sat 15-Jun-13 07:24:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hettie Wed 12-Jun-13 20:25:35

well you could factor in the extra petrol, tolls (if you travel by motorway) and add them to make a cost comparison... Via michelin will give you estiamted rpice for this. That plus the overnights might come in at about 200-250?

LifeofPo Wed 12-Jun-13 18:22:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now