Ahem, I meant Namparra not Noogallas!

(19 Posts)
hz Wed 12-Jun-13 22:08:32

Thanks unexpected! I have now made a booking enquiry with Treloan, mainly because I love the sound of the Roseland Peninsula, now fingers crossed they aren't already full!

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Wed 12-Jun-13 21:15:32

It's really hard to get proper wild camping spots in Cornwall now, it's all been overtaken by Boden-wearing Glampers grin

I've not been to Arthur's field, but to another one further up the hill. The area is lovely, great beaches for kids and not too busy.

Good luck with your search!

hz Wed 12-Jun-13 20:20:53

Soggy summer I LOVE the look of The Old Farm, Praa Sands - if only they allowed campfires! I just don't get camping without campfires but maybe I need to branch out.

Unexpected - Trelaon is promising actually - otherwise known as Arthur's Field I think. I am slightly put off by all the caravans in the pictures in the website. (I know, I am never satisfied. It's a wonder I ever camp anywhere really.)

I wonder if anyone has ever been to Treloan/Arthur's Field?

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Wed 12-Jun-13 19:14:40

near Portscatho

Fires allowed in braziers, close to the the beach.

Maenporth campsite is 1/4 mile to beach along footpath. Unlikely they would let fires.

SoggySummer Wed 12-Jun-13 18:19:32

I always camped on a pitch without a chain (they are lethal in the dark - bitter experience)!! It can get cramped in peak weeks to be honest but the pitches are good sizes. I have to say there are few non manicured campsites in Cornwall that wont get cramped in peak weeks. Only site I love in peak weeks is Ninham on the Isle Of Wight because they have the biggest pitches I have ever known and perimeter field camping only.

I know what you mean about a bit manicured. The non electric field is definately not manicured.

One place we stayed at a good few years ago is here www.theoldfarmpraasands.co.uk/faqs.php Its not on the Lizard but only a few miles away the other side Helston. Its right on Praa Sands - a nice little walk down the lane to the beach (although watch the kids). We love this part of cornwall and have been campimg down that way for years.

Its a tiny tiny site of about 10/15 pitches. Very basic. No idea if they do EHU because we camped before we turned to electric. Basic loo block. Lovely friendly owners. Basic site - very laid back. Just looked to see if they allow camp fires but there is no mention.

hz Wed 12-Jun-13 18:03:16

Thanks for all that SoggySummer, Chy Carne just too manicured for me I think, the site of little post and chain fences around the pitches put me right off. However, do let me know if you think that is a wrong impression, I notice there is an unmarked pitches field although it says pitches are allocated during peak season. Does it get crowded? Very torn as location is good.

Unexpected that one looks nice but doesn't seem to allow campfires? Doesn't say anything about walk to beach either - have you been there?

MummyPig yes, the reviews aren't exactly glowing which is why I was hoping for some mumsnet advice!

The search continues!

MummyPigsFatTummy Wed 12-Jun-13 15:03:00

I haven't been to any site on the Lizard so no help at all I am afraid. However, I looked at the UK campsite reviews of Namparra and Chy Carne,. Comments about dog poo all over Namparra would bother me a bit. However, the thing I noticed is that Chy Carne are pretty careful to respond to reviews on UK campsite. Pretty good really that they care to do that but one of their responses was fairly snippy (August 2012). That attitude would put me off a bit I think even though the points they made may have been fair comment.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Wed 12-Jun-13 14:52:25

near Falmouth

Any good? Maenporth is a great beach.

SoggySummer Wed 12-Jun-13 14:44:10

I think ChyCarne has music blasting out 2 or 3 weeks of the main summer season. They always used to put this up on their website (warning their customers to not book if they want the normal relaxed atmosphere of the site); but that obviously did not cover warning Naparra customers!!!

I think the story behind it is that for a few summers a huge rally used to pretty much take over ChyCarne for 2 weeks - I think last week of July and 1st of August (but not sure). I think this ralley ran for 3 summers 2009 to 20011. It was the ralley that originally used to put on their own entertainment in the big marquee. Then I think the site ran it for a whole main summer season in 2011 - or tried to several nights a week. I know the ralley people no longer go to this site and think that ChyCarne has returned to a quiet site again.

I would phone and ask what entertainment they have (if any) if you are going school summer holiday times but I am pretty sure its not on anymore. I know that if you go beginning of July before the main school holidays then Chy carne is lovely and quiet.

The beachfrom Chycarne is life guarded and has a tea shop and couple of icecream shops down there as well. Its less than 10 minutes walk out the back of Chy Carne. Rock pooling is pretty good down there too. No dogs on the main beach but there is a dog beach on the other side of Kennack sands - another 5/10 minute walk from the beach.

Hope this helps.

hz Wed 12-Jun-13 09:17:19

Well Unexpected, would like to be able to walk to the beach with 5 and 7 year old, so a mile a most I guess but ideally closer! I know it is a hard one, trust me I have been looking for ages!

Thanks TicTacSir, they claim to have sorted that problem out. If so, how was rest of campsite and can you walk to beach easily?

TicTacSir Wed 12-Jun-13 03:20:00

Don't go!!!!!!
Very very noisy campsite opposite with music blasting all night long.
Our 'rural quiet idyll' was quite the opposite...

SoggySummer Wed 12-Jun-13 00:51:04

Last time I was at ChyCarne they had chimineas for hire. Years ago they had fire pits but dont think they do them now.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Tue 11-Jun-13 22:49:04

Loads of places ban campfires sadly.

How far from the beach can you bear to be?

hz Tue 11-Jun-13 22:39:06

Ach. Thanks Unexpected. I have been to Henry's which is very nice but I have an unsatisfied yearning for on foot access to the beach ( and must allow campfires), preferably on the Lizard. Henry's doesn't seem to have that, unless I missed something.

Feeling sad and dejected after several hours searching for perfection. I think Namparra is not it.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Tue 11-Jun-13 22:12:21

Sorry, I got distracted by work.

We stayed earlier this year and it was a solid 2.5 stars out of 5 I think.

To get there you have to drive past the house, cowshed (which is some kind of cider barn now I think) and small holding. It was all a bit run down tbh. A very randy turkey and some depressed looking goats (maybe the two facts are related...)

The meadow is a very large rough field with some slopes. Views are nice but it's got no particular features.

The loos are garden sheds kitted out inside, all unisex. They are fine. We didn't try the showers.

There is a trampoline set into the ground that DD loved but nothing else to do.

It's good value in comparison to other campsites, we paid £12 in comparison to Henry's, which is fab, but £24 a night.

There's some mixed reviews here:

Namparra

Personally if you can afford it and you can get in I would always go to Henry's.

Let me know if you want any more info, sorry about delay!

hz Tue 11-Jun-13 21:56:28

Thanks Soggysummer - I like fairly wild camping, Chy Carne looks fairly manicured, is that a fair impression? Really want the beach access though.

SoggySummer Tue 11-Jun-13 21:45:31

Have stayed next door in Chy Carne several times. Only popped into have a look a few times and was not very impressed. IMO Chy Carne is much nicer and has a short cut out the back to the beach.

hz Tue 11-Jun-13 21:41:19

Bump - for benefit of Unexpected!

hz Tue 11-Jun-13 14:49:58

Soooo - has anyone been to Namparra campsite on the Lizard? Any info much appreciated. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now