ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

1st time family camping hol - top 10 camping tips please

(28 Posts)
plim Tue 11-Jun-13 14:14:14

Hi

We are braving a camping holiday at gwithian farm in Cornwall for two weeks in July. We are a family of five and have only been camping at festivals before so are complete rookies! Firstly please can I ask your top ten tips / items to take with you and secondly any tips concerning gwithian farm or area would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

zumo Thu 13-Jun-13 18:39:30

The only thing I would add is a credit card then if the weather really turns bad hire a caravan!
Hot water bottle is a must, get warm by running around before bed if you are cold.
Head torches are ace

Ineedmorepatience Thu 13-Jun-13 21:24:09

Another vote for hot water bottles, even in warm weather it is just lovely to get into a warm bed. I put mine in my sleeping bag for 10 mins before I go to bed and put my pj's on top of it. Then I have warm pj's too smile

I would also recommend putting the children in shorts/cropped trousers whatever the weather. The grass stays wet alot unless its really sunny and trouser bottoms are a pain if they are constantly wet.

Take some bags big enough to hold dry clothes while having a shower, sometimes there are not enough pegs, we take baby ikea bags but a large carrier would do just as well.

Hope you have a lovely time smile

nomazeena Thu 13-Jun-13 21:37:08

If you get sun- fab- lovely area- make sure you make it all the way to godrevy lighthouse end and check out the seals. The beach at this end is also good for high tide and finding spots out of the wind.

If you get rainy days (never!) - take some restaurant numbers and ring in the morning to book a table for lunch in St Ives. You will feel very smug when the hungry hoards are trawling around looking for food at lunchtime and you swan in with your booking.
I recommend 'On Shore' for pizza and 'the Hub' for great homemade burgers and milkshakes.
Oh and go to St. Ives on the train from Lelant- lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now