roof bags,anyone?

(22 Posts)
Cakebitch Mon 13-May-13 21:00:57

Anyone used one of these?we cant afford a roofbox,so a bag is our cheapest option. What are they like? Hardwearing? Waterproof and roomy? And how do they work?

hz Mon 13-May-13 21:03:55

Yep, we had one. We had no problems, apart from a bit of flapping which was annoying but sorted by a bit of adjustment. Much easier to store than a roof box! If you car has roof bars you will need to get bars that go across to create a base. if you haven't got roof bars not quite sure how it works.

SmellsLikeWeenSpirits Mon 13-May-13 21:14:11

I've just bought a handirack. I've not used it yet, but am hopeful it'll be good bum about scared it'll mark the car

Moodykat Mon 13-May-13 21:33:35

I am thinking about a handirack. Cannot begin to justify the money for rails/bars/box!

SmellsLikeWeenSpirits Mon 13-May-13 22:57:42

I bought mine from eBay, £50 for the bag and racks

We change our car every few months (dp work thing) do this seemed the obvious answer. I like the look. I'll try it out at thevwekend and report back if it'll help

pictish Mon 13-May-13 22:59:45

We bought a Handirack last year.
It's shite I'm afraid.

pictish Mon 13-May-13 23:00:29

We bought the roofbars and the roof bag.
Crapola.

SmellsLikeWeenSpirits Mon 13-May-13 23:47:44

What's shit about it pictish?

It does sound a bit too good to be true and is suspiciously cheap. I have my fears....

pictish Tue 14-May-13 07:29:53

We bought it in good faith because we are campers, with three children and a small car. We can't afford expensive roofboxes a trailers...particularly when the car is a company car and is often changed at short notice.

Well....despite our best efforts with weight distribution and trying to be sensible, it dented the car roof....and scratched hell out of it as well. There were two thick strips of scratches where the inflatable racks had been.
That was a BIG problem. Luckily our neighbour is a panel beater and sorted out the problem for us for free...but had he not, it would have cost us a PACKET to have repaired.

Also they are not waterproof. The rain soaks into the straps that pass through the car and drips onto you while travelling. We had a giggle at the ridiculousness of it all....with towels wrapped around the straps in an attempt to keep dry!

Total waste of money.

Moodykat Tue 14-May-13 09:54:46

Oh bugger pictish. I was really hoping you weren't going to say anything that bad!

pictish Tue 14-May-13 09:59:59

Oh I'm so sorry. We bought it all excited hoping it was the answer to our prayers, so I do sympathise.

pictish Tue 14-May-13 10:10:34

It's also a total faff to put on and take off, with the roof bag. Hard bloody work. Lots of swearing.

Piffpaffpoff Tue 14-May-13 10:21:58

Pictish would you say the problem was with the inflatable bars rather than the bag? I have roof bars already so was just looking at the bag (clutching at straws here!).

pictish Tue 14-May-13 10:30:16

Yes...overall I'd say the problem is with the bars.
The roof bag itself is roomy...very roomy...but it is very tricky to organise even weight distribution...even if you ( like dh) turn it into a Krypton Factor challenge.

The bag was not waterproof at all though. It also shifts about during the journey, so you have to keep adjusting it.

I'd say it was all dependent on what you need it for. Camping holidays, or short journeys transporting lots of paper cups.

The former? Then no. The latter - maybe.

Piffpaffpoff Tue 14-May-13 10:40:35

Ah ok, I'll give it a miss then and continue with my packing 'around' the children when we go camping!

Moodykat Tue 14-May-13 10:58:04

Why is there no other cheap option? Surely the MN camping brigade can come up with something?!

SmellsLikeWeenSpirits Tue 14-May-13 11:21:31

Bugger. How annoying. Dp's car is a leaed company one too so we mustn't damage it and mine is a convertible to it can't go on there

I'd read lots of reviews and seen the rain seeping in through the windows problem, but being very much fair weather campers that hasn't worries me too much. Others said as long as you made sure there were no bits of grit between the bars and the roof it didn't damage the car. We've got the duffle bags which might help with waterproof ness, and had inky planned in putting the bedding and clothes in it. I guess it all adds up though

We can't risk it though. Dp will actually get apoplexy if it scratches the car

How massively disappointing. There are loads of good reviews online, on amazon and Argos, so independent of their website. I wonder what those people were putting in them?

SkivingAgain Tue 14-May-13 12:04:19

We bought and user this and were happy with it ad the advantages (price, easy to store) outweighed disadvantages (a bit of a faff, rain leaking through straps). It didn't scratch the roof of my car. Hope this helps.

hz Tue 14-May-13 12:12:48

Get a decent quality one, ours was a Thule. Sounds like its the inflatable bar thingummys that are rubbish. I wouldn't give up on the idea of a roof bag if you already have roof bars, we found it a good solution to storing all the crap. Although we did eventually give up on that altogether and got a campervan instead....

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 14-May-13 12:18:20

Maybe I am being thick but to avoid scratches (and soak up water too) couldn't you stretch a large towel or other piece of absorbent material over the roof and under the bars, and then secure them tightly? Mountain Warehouse do giant microfibre towels for not too much money, for example? With the weight of the bag on top, I wouldn't have thought there would be too much movement?

Blu Tue 14-May-13 13:50:41

PiffPaff - Halfords sell a soft. fold-flat top box that fits on bars if it is space and storage that is a problem for you.

I don't suppose the Handirack could take a bike rack, could it?

I liked the look of it until Pict's post....

Piffpaffpoff Tue 14-May-13 14:30:51

We already have a roof box, but I find it a real faff to get on and off and then get things in and out of it. It's a long thin one (supposed to be for skis I think) so we manage to store it up the loft so storage isn't an issue, it's 'usability' thats the issue. I tend to take the kids camping myself during the school holidays so I need something I can manage myself easily. I think I just need to learn to pack more efficiently and/or take less stuff tbh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now