Citroen berlingo as car for camping?

(16 Posts)
Blu Wed 08-May-13 18:32:17

Yeah, yeah we know.... grin

LifeofPo Wed 08-May-13 17:51:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Blu Wed 08-May-13 17:27:44

We are a one child family and I manage to camp in my Roomster without an aloof box. Taking an Icey tek, BBQ, two-burner stove and gas bottle, chairs, table, real pillows....

LifeofPo Wed 08-May-13 16:40:56

bordellosboheme Wed 08-May-13 16:39:20

I've got a berlingo. Super reliable.... A bit boxy and slow on the road. Not sure if you'd get in three bikes plus kids... Look at amdro in north Wales to see what can be done with them...

Blu Wed 08-May-13 16:36:39

I have a Skoda Roomster, bought at least partly for it's big boot for camping. I don't think they are as big as a Berlingo, though, which is boxier and wider. Seats v flexible in the Roomster - you can put them in a forward position and make the boot space bigger.

Less van like to drive than a Kangoo or Berlingo - but not exactly sporty.

If you get a Roomster get one with roof bars fitted as standard - Halfords etc don't sell or fit any bolt-on roof bars that will fit on a Roomster. So no aloof box for us at present.

nomazeena Wed 08-May-13 15:34:01

we've had a renault kangoo which is the same as the berlingo for 10 years. We love it- all the camping stuff, dog, bikes whatever you need goes in. I'm about to chuck my DS's bike in the back so he can cycle home. You are just not paying for unnecessary gadgetry with these cars.

We have a diesel and its powerful and reliable. BUT- we might go for an estate next time because inside the high roof space isnt really used and outside its a pain to get to whatever is on top of the car. We have kayaks and DH has to climb on the roof to tie them on. A roofbox would be similarly high up!

Quenelle Wed 08-May-13 12:38:51

I like the Yeti even more but they're a newer model so definitely can't afford one.

I would love a campervan. We have a grand scheme to buy a Transit and convert it ourselves.

LifeofPo Wed 08-May-13 12:27:16

LifeofPo Wed 08-May-13 12:26:27

Quenelle Wed 08-May-13 12:23:37

We almost bought a Berlingo once but the garage wouldn't accept what we were prepared to pay. Went with a Scenic instead. I remember it being very vanlike and it sounded 'clatty', like when you drive a car with the back seats down, except all the time.

We've been looking at the Skoda Roomster, I think it compares sizewise with the Berlingo. Only problem is they really hold their value so we can't even afford a secondhand one.

aloof box grin

Slubberdegullion Wed 08-May-13 12:22:33

My belief is that small camper + tent is the best camping combo, but they are just horribly expensive to buy and run. I have a little look sometimes in case by some miracle I could buy a camper for, I dunno £200. It appears not. Well not one that drives forwards and sometimes backwards when you want it to.

When does the Palamos arrive?

LifeofPo Wed 08-May-13 11:05:25

LifeofPo Wed 08-May-13 11:04:53

Slubberdegullion Wed 08-May-13 10:59:38

Arf at aloof box. Does it detach itself at the campsite to shun the company of the bikes?

Get you getting a new car too. Was it a sad day saying goodbye to the Campervan sad

LifeofPo Wed 08-May-13 10:56:14

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now