Sleeping bags for children

(16 Posts)
FannyBazaar Wed 01-May-13 21:21:19

My 8yo DS has one like this although I think it may be the mummy style. It's very light & compact so he can carry it in his rucksack with his sleeping mat, clothes, toiletries & any toys he can also fit in! I tend to fold the end in on itself or fold it over so he has that to sleep on top of as well.

It's not warm enough for me but he wiggles out of it and rolls off his mat ending up sleeping on the ground happy enough! He usually wears thermal long johns for camping PJs and has a fleece onesy he can try out this year as well.

Brownowlahi Wed 01-May-13 21:01:35

My dc had vango nitestars at that age. They are extendable ones so they don't seem to big on my 2 year old, but can fit a 7 year old in. Might be worth trying them in adult ones that would last longer if you can go somewhere like go outdoors to try them out. The dc all take sleeping bags, but I take a duvet and find that much easier/warmer than any bag. And if dc Wake up or have a wet bed, they can just get in with me.

fossil971 Wed 01-May-13 09:34:45

Our DC had the Vango kids mummy-shape sleeping bags and our old foam roll-mats (that I hope never to sleep on again!) Often we'd you look in on them and they have rolled off the mat and be half out of the sleeping bags but never woke up cold. Now they're 7/9 and have gone up to adult sized sleeping bags. Those Decathlon ones look good.

I'd always get a 3 season bag minimum in the UK, it's a lot easier to unzip a bit if you're warm than to try and layer up/shiver if you're too cold. But kids 3 season ones are a bit hard to find so you might just need a blanket on standby.

They also wear socks and really warm fleece or velour pyjamas (try La Redoute as they seem to be popular in France). I put elastic through the hems of the pyjamas to keep them out of the wet grass when they wake up in the morning and have to go to the loo block NOW.

Bec1974 Tue 30-Apr-13 20:42:06

Thanks for the other tips too. I wouldn't have thought about putting something under the bed

Bec1974 Tue 30-Apr-13 20:40:11

Thanks everybody

This gives me an idea of what to go for smile

DD(5) has a Vango Nitestar 250. It is adult sized and I haven't lost her in it...yet!

seeker Mon 29-Apr-13 19:20:30

Ordinary adult sleeping bags folded under and stitched across. Then you don't have to buy a new one when they grow.

Take extra layers to put under pyjamas- particularly socks- rather than a super thick bag.

Oh, and take a rug to go under- the cold "strikes up" as my FIL used to say.

colleysmill Mon 29-Apr-13 19:17:24

Ds has a vango wilderness bought in the sales for about 27 quid. It has a zip on end panel to extend it as he grows - should accommodate up to 135 cm according to the label. Think its 3 seasons.

We went away this Easter in the van (no heating) and with an extra blanket and a fleece onsie he complained of being too hot!

paneer Mon 29-Apr-13 18:40:10

my dd just uses a normal adult sleeping bag. she is 5 now and has been using an adult one since 4. I did tie the bottom to shorten it the first time but I don't bother now

monkeychambers Mon 29-Apr-13 15:08:03

Watching with interest....we are off to a festival this year (end of July) for the first time with DD (7) and wondering what one to buy for her....had seen a Gelert Sleeping Pod one that is 2 Season and didn't know if it would be warm enough?

Will watch the recomendations and go by those I think.....thanks

DeathMetalMum Mon 29-Apr-13 14:33:37

Avoid any tv caracter design sleeping bags as most are very thin, suitable for indoors only in my experience.

toffeelolly Mon 29-Apr-13 14:28:16

Argos have good children's bags , got 3 for my ds's + dd really good &
17.99 each.Hope this helps.

MummyPigsFatTummy Mon 29-Apr-13 14:27:26

We got this one for DD (3). They do it in pink or blue. Not used it in anger yet though so I can't comment on tis warmth:

www.mountainwarehouse.com/walking/sleeping-bags/kids-sleeping-bags/kids-basecamp-200-sleeping-bag-p2771.aspx?ism=0&cl=PINK

MousyMouse Mon 29-Apr-13 14:24:23
MousyMouse Mon 29-Apr-13 14:22:03

we got the childrens ones from decathlon.
comfy warm and washable.
our younger dc didn't like to be zipped in, though, so we only zipped it up when asleep.

Bec1974 Mon 29-Apr-13 14:16:44

We're going camping in June for the first time with our 2 DC (3 and 5) and have no idea what kind of sleeping bags to get for them.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I can't really afford anything too pricey but up to £30 each is fine.

Cheers smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now