Just bought our first tent! How should we weatherproof it?

(18 Posts)
carriedawayannie Tue 30-Apr-13 14:25:32

Oooh our first trip will be in half term as well MrsMonkey .. can't wait! Have you got a lot of kit? I'm trying to go as light as possible but can't work out if we can manage without a table or not.

We realised at the weekend that the grass area in our garden isn't big enough to do a practice pitch. So might have to do a trip to the local park instead. Did you have problems collapsing MrsMonkey?

TheFallenNinja Tue 30-Apr-13 14:22:05

The best weatherproofing for a tent is leaving it at home and booking a B&B

MrsMonkey Tue 30-Apr-13 14:17:19

I've just bought the same tent and I LOVE it! Put it up first try at the weekend and got it packed away again in about 10 minutes too! Can't wait to try it out for 'proper' at half term smile

carriedawayannie Mon 29-Apr-13 10:11:12

Phew!

Do you love yours?

SparkyUK Sun 28-Apr-13 21:26:04

Yes, ours (4..1 seconds) has a SIG in the bedroom so no worries re mini-beastie attacks while we sleep!

Ffuntimewincies Sun 28-Apr-13 20:47:51

The sleeping areas have SIGs and the middle area has a bathtub style one where the sides velcro into place.

AnneEyhtMeyer Sun 28-Apr-13 14:31:50

Oh dear, then it isn't for me. I like camping but not enough to allow bugs easy access to me. Will have to stick to my old one that takes an age to put up.

carriedawayannie Sun 28-Apr-13 13:39:55

No I don't thinks its got a SIG.

<<tries not to think of bugs>>

AnneEyhtMeyer Sun 28-Apr-13 07:57:44

Does this pop-up one have a sewn-in groundsheet? I have wanted a pop-up for a while but have been put off by the lack of a sewn-in groundsheet. If it has this would be ideal!

carriedawayannie Sun 28-Apr-13 07:11:46

grin dh will so know that advice came from MN

Ffuntimewincies Sat 27-Apr-13 21:45:03

It's a doddle to pack away, we've just done our first camp with ours.

Advice: be proud grin. The 'cock' needs to be good and long <sorry> and the 'balls' fairly small.

Lucycat Sat 27-Apr-13 20:48:36

'unleash if from the bag' is sooo right Slubber grin

Hope you enjoy the whole experience carriedawayannie - don't forget the wine!

carriedawayannie Sat 27-Apr-13 14:49:37

Apologies for all those Smileys - I think I may be a tad over excited!

carriedawayannie Sat 27-Apr-13 14:48:26

grin

I've watched some youtube videos.

I am not all confident about being able to pack it away - although I haven't mentioned that to dh, I just showed him the 2 min pitch time blush grin

Thanks Slubber smile

i am looking forward to your trying to pack it away thread already grin

Slubberdegullion Sat 27-Apr-13 14:38:34

In theory you don't need to repitch nylon tents to dry them out as they won't shrink, however as it is a pop up you will need to at least unleash it from the bag if you strike camp if it is wet as all tents need to be bone dry before storing or you will get mildew.

Slubberdegullion Sat 27-Apr-13 14:36:33

It's already weatherproof smile. If you want to reduce UV degradation you can spray it with this if you think you are going to be camping in it lots and lots and particularly in v sunny weather.

carriedawayannie Sat 27-Apr-13 13:57:35

Dh has just gone to pick it up from Decathalon.

We chose this tent as its a good price and dh isn't as keen on the whole camping idea as me so I thought something easy to put up might help sway him wink

Should we weatherproof it? What should we buy? How often should we do it?

I was hoping to pitch it today in the garden to play with it make sure its all in working order but the grass is all wet so no sure if dh will be too keen.

Just thought - do you have to repitch the tent when you get home to dry it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now