Coleman Event Shelter? Or cheapo Asda type?

(20 Posts)
Ricky4114 Fri 09-Aug-13 13:04:13

I took one to Spain this year, yes they are easy to put up, and they are good shelter from light rain if you have the sides on.
But !!!!!
Beware they are useless in bad weather, we had a bit of a storm and at least five near me collapsed as the rain just collected on the top and pulled them down, bending the frames.
The roof vent system does not work either...
But my main beef is that they are not heat reflective, in fact they magnify the heat and makes them unbearable to sit under during the heat of the day..
But I suppose they are ok for a one off garden party but no good for the serious camper caravener.

RooneyMara Wed 01-May-13 10:15:13

here you go bloody brilliant. it really is.

RooneyMara Wed 01-May-13 10:13:56

Never seen the coleman one but we got a brilliant gazebo thing from argos - it was about 60 quid, hexagonal, easy to put up.

We lent it out for various parties. It has mesh sides and is blue...not sure if they still do it.

sa2006 Wed 01-May-13 10:03:34

I love my Colman Event Shelter and it has survived some big winds. So no complaints from us.

DaveMccave Tue 30-Apr-13 18:59:08

I was just looking at one one offer in Clas Ohlson... Bit put off after these come T's though, I thought pop up was better than those with lots of poles.

Milliways Mon 29-Apr-13 23:10:09

A Khyam Day shelter is great. We have the old Khyam Hex-poly which alternates between a fully battened down tent type shelter or a massive opened out gazebo.

Lovecat Mon 29-Apr-13 21:01:09

The Coleman instant one looks like it works on the same principle as their instant tent, in which case it is v. easy to put up but involves 2 strong women leaning on it and much swearing to get it down again.

Asda one nice til any hint of weather touches it. There was one on the French campsite we were at last year and there was a brief rainstorm. It turned a very peculiar shape...

lisad123everybodydancenow Mon 29-Apr-13 14:40:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MummyPigsFatTummy Mon 29-Apr-13 10:24:22
MummyPigsFatTummy Mon 29-Apr-13 10:23:58

This might be the answer to your problems? A Coleman instant event shelter: http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/Coleman/InstantEventShelter-14x14.aspx.

I just found it on Achica.com for £125 (I think their links only work if you are a member). If we didn't already have the original event shelter, I would definitely go for this one.

DeepRedBetty Fri 26-Apr-13 09:33:59

Hmmm lots of mixed views here. Other reviewers on Amazon and UK Campsite had also mentioned the lack of spares availability as an issue.

Will continue to mull.

MummyPigsFatTummy Fri 26-Apr-13 06:41:18

We have both and only used the Asda one once last year. It was a bad weekend and even ignoring the bending in the wind issue, it just wouldn't have provided enough protection in proper driving rain.

Our Coleman shelter OTOH is brilliant. We have had no breakages yet but two friends have. One at least got a replacement (maybe just of poles - I can't recall ) but I do recall she had to be very persistent and did get pushed between Coleman and the seller.

This year we have bought a Quechua base seconds XL as extra living space. It does open up but probably still isn't a proper replacement for a gazebo/event shelter. Also it is huge packed up but I do think one person might have a better chance of putting it up. I honestly don't think you could do that with an event shelter.

beachyhead Thu 25-Apr-13 23:03:35

We bought one last year, used it once, the elastic in the pole snapped, impossible to get replacements.... Big fat waste of money... I so wanted it to work, but it didn't...sad

DeepRedBetty Thu 25-Apr-13 23:00:41

Including three walls??? Will have a look! That wasn't what it said on the website earlier tonight.

We did use a pop-up gazebo for two years but it gave up after one particularly bad August in Cornwall.

maturenanny Thu 25-Apr-13 22:00:26

Coleman event shelter all the way!

We just brought one from go outdoors in Basingstoke for £160 inc 3 sun walls, they will price match and take an extra 10% as long as the competitor has it in stock and they wil check by doing a test order.

We are kicking ourself for using a pop up gazebo last year, especially as it also broke on first use!!

DeepRedBetty Thu 25-Apr-13 21:14:29

Amazon and UK Campsite reviewers all say you should use bigger pegs than the ones that come with it, and always use all the guy ropes.
I'm going to mull it over for 24 hours before placing order...

AttentionToDetail Thu 25-Apr-13 20:46:03

Was going to get the Coleman but saw one destroyed by wind at a festival last year. Admittedly the weather was bad and there were a number of other gazebo casualties and it may not of been pitched well I don't know, but it put me off spending the money.

DeepRedBetty Thu 25-Apr-13 20:28:34

I somehow expected that derek. I wish one of the next-step-down tent manufacturers would make their own version, there must be something between £20 and £120 plus extra for sides, groundsheet etc, but I haven't found it yet!

derektheladyhamster Thu 25-Apr-13 18:55:29

The asda one is no good in the wind. It's very bendy grin

DeepRedBetty Thu 25-Apr-13 18:52:00

Anyone got one? What do you think? Can I reach the middle to put it up without making DP come for the weekend when he'd rather be watching the cricket? (We do quite a lot of Mummy Camping, minus Daddy) I'm 5' 7".

Is there a cheaper, good alternative before I splurge?

Some people last year were raving about an Asda one that was only about £20 - how did they pan out?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now