If you have never been camping before, would it be crazy to...

(9 Posts)
RescueCack Wed 24-Apr-13 18:28:46

Ds slept through for the first time camping at 12 weeks. Didnt do it again until about 11 months. Camping was beautiful beautiful sleep...

We took dd1 camping at 8 weeks. She was a poor sleeper and cried a fair bit at home. She slept much better when we were camping and never disturbed anyone to our knowledge.

I would go.

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Tue 23-Apr-13 13:57:12

Oh and I hope to still be breastfeeding.

I think I will tell DH we should go! smile

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Tue 23-Apr-13 13:56:34

Baby is here. DH thinks he cries a lot, I think he doesn't!

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 23-Apr-13 11:41:51

I would go definitely. We didn't take our DD until she was about 6 months but that was because she was a winter baby.

The most important thing is to make sure the baby is warm at night but you can do that with lots of layers/gro-bag/blankets etc so not a major problem.

Depending whether you are breastfeeding or not you may have to think about how you deal with bottles. One solution if you are FF is to take cartons of ready-made for the weekend and then all you have to do is boil the bottles in a pan of water. That said, we managed ok with powder but it is more of a faff. If you are BF then this makes camping with a baby even easier.

Think about taking a little sun shelter/pop up tent thing for the day time so you can put the baby in the shade during the day - if it is warm, the tent itself will probably be much too hot.

It is worth bearing in mind that even at such a young age all the fresh air may well knock the baby out so he/she will sleep better than at home - certainly used to work for our DD even pre-walking.

However, even if they do cry, it is surprising what other campers can sleep through (within limits). Our DD had a night terror once in a tent (she was a toddler by then) - it went on for ages and in the end we had to walk to the car park and sleep with her in the car. The next morning none of the group we were camping with had any idea about what had happened even though our ears were almost bleeding - amazing what fresh air (and ear plugs maybe) can do for a night's sleep.

PeterParkerSays Mon 22-Apr-13 16:14:01

Is baby here yet? If baby turns out to be a real screamer, i wouldn't. i remember going camping with family friends years ago; they had a baby who screamed all night. other campers knocked at the tent at 3am offering to rock the baby so they could sleep.

Not sure if that's a positive side to camping or not.

My DS was teething from 4 months, and feeding every 3 hours, so I wouldn't have taken him camping. If you have a settled baba though, and can wrap them up warm, you should be fine.

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Mon 22-Apr-13 16:03:44

Friends are going at the same time who we haven't seen for ages, so I was looking forward to it. I was more worried about the long drive!
Ok, one positive reply, any other views?

Eskino Mon 22-Apr-13 15:30:13

No not crazy. That age is the best time to go camping, little babies are so portable and as long as youre breastfeeding, you can travel light.

Your DH is being silly worrying about other campers, anyone who camps knows that babies cry, kids squeal and adults shout thing they shouldn't, all within ear shot of each other.

You'll have a great and memorable time.

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Mon 22-Apr-13 15:13:10

Go with a three month old in the UK in the summer? We bought a tent, planned to go, but now the baby is here DH is worried it'll be too hot or too cold and baby might keep other campers up at night crying.

I was just taking the attitude that we would muddle through, but do you think as inexperienced campers it'd be a terrible ordeal?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now