part-ex'ing a caravan - how does it work?

(7 Posts)
headlesslambrini Sat 20-Apr-13 17:53:41

we are thinking about part-ex'ing our caravan for a newer one. has anyone done this before? Is it like a car, where we have to take our caravan to them to get a part ex price or can they give me one over the phone so I don't have to cart it down to them and then back again if I don't get the price I'm after?

TIA

headlesslambrini Sat 20-Apr-13 19:01:27

bump

barleysugar Sat 20-Apr-13 20:19:37

Exactly that. But be prepared, caravan dealers like to make £1500-£2000 profit from each sale they make, unlike car dealers who aim for £800-1000 per sale. So you are very likely to receive an offer far below the real worth of your existing van a d they will throw in "cheap" new freebies like hitch cover, waterhog etc to make it seem like a better deal!

barleysugar Sat 20-Apr-13 20:20:05

What are you thinking of buying?

headlesslambrini Sat 20-Apr-13 20:24:58

I've been lusting after a bailey unicorn Barcelona. TBH I love my caravan now but have a major problem with the size of the fridge and making the beds up every night. This one has a large fridge and a fixed bed.

LeeCoakley Sat 20-Apr-13 20:32:59

Two of our caravans have been p/x without being seen. We only took them to the dealer when we picked up the new ones. I assume there is a limit to what they offer based on the value of the new caravan you are buying. We are currently trying to sell our current one (not p/x) and the dealer wants to see it before giving a price.

barleysugar Sat 20-Apr-13 20:36:00

Very nice, I can see the appeal of a fixed bed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now