Kit for keeping warm - your recommendations

(16 Posts)
beatricequimby Tue 16-Apr-13 19:53:16

Am just about to make my annual pilgrimmage to Go Outdoors before we go camping. Top priority this year is to keep warm at night. Is it worth splashing out on expensive sleeping mats or any other gear? I don't think I can afford Thermarests but might do if everyone says they are fantastic. Are they warmer than a cheapo mat and and airbed on top? Last year's sleeping bag from Tesco was a mistake so would rather buy some decent gear this time but want to spend the money wisely.

MrsHoarder Tue 16-Apr-13 19:59:34

Thermorest no warmer than your current setup, just take up less space. Get decent sleeping bags and a hat then buy 2 fleece blankets each (from primark/ikea, not specific outdoor ones), one for under your air mattress and one for on top and snuggling in before bed.

Have a warm drink late evening and wear a hat. If someone us feeling the cold badly they need top sleep between two other people. If in doubt, more people in a sleeping compartment is better. Those monster tents always look cold!

Piffpaffpoff Tue 16-Apr-13 20:05:26

Layers are your friend. I always start off wearing a couple of thin fleeces, thermal leggings, pj trousers, socks and a hat in bed - v alluring!!! I also keep another fleece within grabbing distance if I get cold in the night. I had my coldest night ever over the jubilee weekend last year so I am prepared for anything now!

We have Vango sleeping bags, I think they are 3 season ones.

CPtart Tue 16-Apr-13 21:05:06

Take a hot water bottle. What a difference!

colleysmill Tue 16-Apr-13 21:15:49

I second the hot water bottles - that an onsie for ds & extra blankets made all the difference at Easter (van rather than canvas though)

ChippyMinton Wed 17-Apr-13 20:19:57

A foil survival blanket under the mat makes a difference. It reflects the cold back into the ground and the warmth back up to you (I think!).

ChippyMinton Wed 17-Apr-13 20:21:22

And, the best tip is to put your PJs on under your clothes in the evening, so they warm up nicely before you get into bed. Also saves having to get undressed and put chilly PJs on, losing all your body heat.

Get ready for bed way before you're going to go to bed. I usually wear thick fleecy track suit bottoms, a t-shirt and a fleece over that. Wrap myself in a blanket and sit outside. Then, when you go in to bed, you don't have to strip off in the cold. Make sure you have thick socks (or 2 pairs). I always take a duvet instead of a sleeping bag as I don't like being constricted and have found this to be just as cosy (with my fleece blanket as a bottom sheet). Newspaper is a good insulator if you want to put something under your SIM.

x post chippy grin

WallyBantersYoniBox Wed 17-Apr-13 20:31:55

If your feet are warm you'll get to sleep quickly. Put a hot water bottle into the bottom of the sleeping bag before you go to bed.

I treated myself to some cashmere bedsocks from the white company and they are amazingly soft and warm, but not sweaty. I love them.

We have a little camping heater that runs off the gas bottle. We always spend 20 mins playing cards or chatting in the tent with the heat on - either the Gaz lamp, heater or stove for boiling milk and water (hot choc and hot water bottles) this seems to drive the dew out too.

I usually shower last thing at night, if the hot water is good. Usually the block is quiet, and I put on my pjs and track suit in the warm cubicle before heading back for a hot drink.

We have army sleeping bags thanks to hubby, they are extremely warm and cover your head. Personally I'm not a sleeping bag fan - I like to lie on a duvet with a sleeping bag over me.

Rhienne Wed 17-Apr-13 21:17:27

Airbeds are like a black hole for heat (unless you have super modern super expensive ones filled with down)! Make sure you have a good couple of layers between you and it. Cheap ikea polarfleece should work. Or if you don't need it to cushion your airbed against a rough ground surface, put your cheap foam mat over your airbed. MUCH more insulating.

FullOfChoc Wed 17-Apr-13 21:27:30

I second the foil emergency blanket under the air bed, you rustle like a crisp packet but it's toasty warm.

FullOfChoc Wed 17-Apr-13 21:28:03

That should be under the sheet on the air bed.

fossil971 Wed 17-Apr-13 23:51:52

Agree, don't bother putting anything under the air mattress. Put layers on top of it (even one of those 2cm foam roll mats) and immediately under you. And get a 4 season sleeping bag grin.

beatricequimby Thu 18-Apr-13 19:34:59

Thanks everyone. Am going to look for foil blankets now. Was thinking of getting an Outwell Lux sleeping bag (3/4 seasons). Any views on it or any other bags you would recommend?

nobodysfool Thu 18-Apr-13 21:24:24

We use foil blankets (currently in the 99p/£1 shops) then SIM then airbed which has on of the thermal covers on it from Wilkinsons then sheet finally duvet and blanket. Must work as the kids always kick off their covers in the night as they get too warm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now