It is possible or sensible to go from London to the Dordogne without an overnight stop?

(26 Posts)
HairyMaclary Sat 06-Apr-13 20:26:40

So we have booked out first non uk camping trip. We've done it loads here but the weather has got the better of us and after a couple of difficult years we really need some sun. We have booked Les Valedes after a recommendation from a friend and then discovered it is an MN favourite!

However DH thinks we should go non stop, preferably overnight, he and I will share the driving and we'll arrive at about noon. I think this is nuts, we'll be exhausted, I haven't stayed up all night since I was about 18, the DC won't have slept properly and it's actually dangerously silly. He thinks we'll get the cheaper Eurostar and save a night in a b&b on the way down and back up.

Those who have done this sort if trip before, isn't doable or isn't a silly idea? Any ideas in cheap stopovers if we need to?

Lucycat Sat 13-Apr-13 16:21:13

I agree I wouldn't do it either - we have to travel from Cheshire so it's rather different for us but if you don't want to arrive knackered and then have to put a tent up then it's a crazy idea.
We are having 2 overnight stops this year - Bouologne and Chaeauroux - I like French villages so it always seems a bit rude to charge down France without visiting a few patisseries on the way smile

Think about your route too - the sat nav will want to take you via hell Paris but we prefer the Rouen route.
Whe we last visited Les Valades in 2010 we met up with friends from the year before who had driven down from Kent in one day and I've never seen anybody look so ill - he was exhausted - so much that they ended staying in a nearby B&B for the night as the couldn't face putting their tent up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now