Mattress topper for camper?

(10 Posts)
loubielou31 Thu 07-Mar-13 20:25:23

I need to get something to put on the bed in our camper to make it possible to sleep on. At the moment I find it just too hard.
I wondered about a memory foam topper but can you cut them to size because the bed is quite narrow, and do they take up loads of space when they're not on the bed. Weight is not an issue but size is.
Looking forward to actually getting a good nights sleep in the van this year, I hope you can help.

Ledkr Thu 07-Mar-13 20:27:33

Is it a bongo? We found the mattress topper too thin so last summer e used a blow up which is dead comfy.

loubielou31 Thu 07-Mar-13 20:43:00

No, It's a VW T5 conversion. The bed is a Rib bed. It cost more than our lovely kingsize bed because (I believe) at the time we had it fitted it was the only rock and roll bed to have been properly crash tested.
So it's properly safety tested for the DCs and their car seat but bloody uncomfortable to sleep on. It also is narrower than a double which means DH is far too close.

Ledkr Thu 07-Mar-13 22:05:34

Yeah if go for the blow up. We chuck it in the awning during the day and it doubles as a sofa.

Milliways Thu 07-Mar-13 22:08:35

We have a mattress topper in our van, but it is a fixed bed so just stays there. It's soooo comfy!

loubielou31 Sat 09-Mar-13 21:05:24

Thanks ladies, I'll look and see what will fit. I think an air bed will be too wide but a dbl sim might fit. wouldn't they be a bit slippy. I did think a foam topper might just fold up at the back whilst we're on site and need to put the bed away during the day but not sure they'd squash enough for when we're travelling.

Wrigglytummy Sun 10-Mar-13 22:11:23

We bought a double sim, then if we take a tent & not the van we can still use it. We bought a huge 7.5cm one (outwell) & it is v comfy.

loubielou31 Sun 10-Mar-13 22:16:57

I looked at sims today in go outdoors. I need to measure the bed to check how wide it is but that's what I think we'll do because that will pack down quite small. I wouldn't have thought of it without your suggestions. Thank you.

Ledkr Mon 11-Mar-13 06:52:57

What is a sim? I'd be interested in something more practical for our bongo

loubielou31 Wed 13-Mar-13 23:19:57

A "Self inflating mat" Thermarest is a brand of them, (v Expensive) but there's lots around of different prices and thicknesses.
They're sort of a combination of a foam mat and an air bed, so they're very insulating (much better than an air bed!) for proper campers who sleep on the floor but they are more comfortable that a foam mat. They have a valve at one end so when you unroll them the foam expands and inflate the mat, you close the valve so the air is trapped and it's lovely and comfy. When you want to pack it you open the valve and squeeze all the air out as you roll it up.

You shouldn't store them rolled up for a long time though, we put ours unrolled under one of the beds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now