Bell tents...PIG or ZIG?

(27 Posts)
shropshireblue Fri 01-Mar-13 14:47:45

I've been lusting after a Bell tent for a couple of years now and seeing as I'm planning on camping this year I think I can persuade DP into purchasing one (with a gentle nudge). I've read so many threads about PIGs and ZIGs but I need some more advice. I don't mind creepy crawlies, but slugs I just can't abide. I'm also worried about water getting in from soggy campfires when it rains.

So, to all knowledgable Bell tenters, anyone found a new love of expletives when confronted with zips? Has anyone woken in a mini lake in a PIG?

shropshireblue Fri 08-Mar-13 20:36:28

When I get this wonderful tent, I'm hoping to take it to festivals too with the DC. Which is why, much as I'd like a stove, I probably won't get one for a very long time. Shame really, as the one NettleTea linked to had me oohing and ahhing (although really don't have enough money for a stove).

BoredEasily Sun 10-Mar-13 17:40:38

We used to have a separate groundsheet one but found the "folding under" technique of the groundsheet was a bit of a faff and not foolproof so if you missed a bit of tucking under and it rained then rain came in where the groundsheet was on top of the tent. We treated ourselves to a ZIG (4m) and have never looked back - it's quicker to put up and the zips are really easy to open/close and no danger of water coming in. Also find a 4m ample for us and our 3 kids and think 5m ones are a bit unwieldy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now