Bell tents...PIG or ZIG?

(27 Posts)
shropshireblue Fri 01-Mar-13 14:47:45

I've been lusting after a Bell tent for a couple of years now and seeing as I'm planning on camping this year I think I can persuade DP into purchasing one (with a gentle nudge). I've read so many threads about PIGs and ZIGs but I need some more advice. I don't mind creepy crawlies, but slugs I just can't abide. I'm also worried about water getting in from soggy campfires when it rains.

So, to all knowledgable Bell tenters, anyone found a new love of expletives when confronted with zips? Has anyone woken in a mini lake in a PIG?

If I had the money I would buy a PIG, ZIG seems like a great idea but in reality zips can break quite easily.

shropshireblue Fri 01-Mar-13 15:29:13

Campfires = campsites!

NettleTea Fri 01-Mar-13 22:32:50

I agree, zips are always the first thing to go, and if it goes it the middle of a holiday then you are stuffed.

shropshireblue Sat 02-Mar-13 20:11:05

Yes, I do worry about the zip going if I get one. But, does a PIG let in water?

Ideally, I would camp in glorious sunshine, but as we have had a few wet summers I would hate to spend that amount of money on a Bell tent and then regret my decision.

Decisions, decisions...smile

NettleTea Sun 03-Mar-13 00:00:46

No, we have a pig and we saw some hefty storms while it was up and it was fine. The rubber skirt goes right under and has enough extra that it was fine.

shropshireblue Sun 03-Mar-13 08:13:13

Thanks NettleTea, that's good to know. Do you mind me asking where you bought yours? Or are they much of a muchness?

NettleTea Sun 03-Mar-13 23:14:17

I got mine from Soulpad as they are such lovely people. I am probably going to sell it though as we run a glampy campsite and I dont get a chance to camp in the good weather so have just bought a caravan to get us away out of season.... (feel a bit of a tent traitor now....)

NettleTea Sun 03-Mar-13 23:17:04

also get a bigger one - I have a 5m and its great. I did a friend's wedding in it last year and put it up by myself no problem. Once you get the knack its pretty simple.

shropshireblue Mon 04-Mar-13 08:37:49

Ooh, please do let met know if you decide to sell.

newbiefrugalgal Mon 04-Mar-13 19:22:04

This post just reminded me....I am selling 4m soulpad hybrid with regret. Love love love it! but relocating overseas and it's not practical to take it.
I've only had one camping trip - sunny week in Henley last year so it's in fantastic condition.
PM if you want.
Any ideas on where best to advertise to sell it?

Lovecat Mon 04-Mar-13 20:45:12

I'd like to put in a word for ZIGs - we've had ours nearly 3 years now, camped out in it a LOT and it works perfectly. I'm a total weakling lightweight and I can zip it/unzip it no problems, the soulpad zips are really chunky and hardwearing.

pictish Mon 04-Mar-13 20:48:08

PIG!
We have one. The pegging under takes 10 mins.

I think the ZIG is more expensive, heavier, and more likely to go wrong.
I'd rather peg down.

Camped for approz 3months in a bell, but no clue as to what a zig or pig is.

is this some kind of pretentiousness?

OneHundredSecondsofSolitude Mon 04-Mar-13 20:53:27

Zig

Ziiiiiippppp

Roll roll

Look it's a spaceship

Lovecat Mon 04-Mar-13 20:58:55

No insects in a ZIG grin

ZIG = Zip In Groundsheet

PIG = Pegged In Groundsheet

HTH smile

or right, well we have neither then. More like a tucked under groundsheet.

Camped in rivers and stayed dry though.

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 05-Mar-13 10:59:23

We have a tucked under one too - got it from Obelink in Holland - slipped through their UK ban somehow. Saved loads of money. DH is vaguely thinking of taking a trip over there and buying a load this year so quite interested to see whather ZIGs or PIGs (or tucked under) are most popular.

BTW, we have had two bell tents since 2007 - traded up from a 4m to a 5m a year or so ago - we have camped in some seriously dodgy weather, including a virtual mud swamp at Forgewood last year, and we have never had any problems with water getting in to the tent. The tucked under groundsheet works fine.

I have young children who throw up and wee. I want to be able to hose down the groundsheet/chuck a bucket of water over it.

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 05-Mar-13 11:35:49

I guess you could do that with a ZIG too, Starlight. But like others on here, it would be the chances of the zip breaking which would bother me. Mainly though, it was the big difference in prace between PIG and ZIG which convinced me to go with the basic version <cheapskate emoticon>

shropshireblue Tue 05-Mar-13 13:01:17

Ok, a PIG it is then (I think). With the money I save I can buy an inner too.

It's a shame Obelink don't sell to the UK as it is a big difference in price for the PIG.

Thanks Newbie, I will need a 5m, otherwise I would take you up on your offer.

chipmonkey Tue 05-Mar-13 20:23:46

My children never throw up or wee. They are perfect.

NettleTea Wed 06-Mar-13 18:49:29

theres a 5m one here with all the extras you would ever want. I am still working out if I need mine for a convention we are hosting this summer and I need to accomodate more people...

Fullsteamahead Thu 07-Mar-13 22:41:11

Oh, wow, these tents do look amazing! OH and I are looking for a tent to go camping with our DC in summer, they are 8 and 2. I really like the look of bell tents but OH is not convinced, he feels it would be completely impractical being so open plan and having no separate area for cooking, etc.

It'd be interesting to hear the experiences of people who have camped in bell tents with young children.

Also wondering if these would be suitable for festivals. We are booked to go the Carfest this year and wonder if it would be too big for the average festival pitch?

chipmonkey Thu 07-Mar-13 23:44:27

I know people do take them to festivals but I gather to family camping areas. I think there is something lovely and festival-ish about them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now