What do we need to take for first trip to France with own tent?

(20 Posts)
Lucycat Sat 23-Feb-13 20:15:19

ooh yes a piece of breathable groundsheet is great for keeping dust out of the tent but it also allows water through if it does happen to rain hmm

mantlepiece Sat 23-Feb-13 15:24:49

We always took a gazebo as well as the tent. We would park the table and chairs under this and only ever went into the tent to sleep or boil a kettle as it got very hot in there during the day!

We also took some green holey matting stuff to put outside the tent so sand and dust didn't get trailed in there,

Yes you need a long lead electrical connection... ours has a circut breaker on too. It has 4 plug sites on it so you can plug in fridge, lights, chargers etc. Be careful you do not have too much on at once though or you will overload and trip it out.

We found we didn't really need duvets or sleeping bags, and took duvet covers to sleep inside of and a selection of light blankets or throws for the odd chilly night, but I suppose it depends what time of the year you are going! We took an electrical air pump for the airbeds, as vigorous pumping in the heat is exhausting!

I took alot of melamine rather than crockery and metal as carrying your stacked bowl or pail to the dishwashing area is alot easier that way.

I took a couple of those collapsible hanging shelves to hang from the tent poles.. great for storing those everyday items in an easy to reach place.

Lucycat Sat 23-Feb-13 14:55:30

We have two of these www.josephjoseph.com/colanders-and-strainers/folding-colander bought from TKMaxx a few years ago - one for straining boil in the bag rice & pasta and the other as a fruit bowl.
We also have a baguette shaped bread board and a decent bread knife together with a baguette bag from ebay so that the bread is still edible by the evening. I also have a wipe clean tablecloth with clips to fasten it down - vital for lunches in French parks as they all have tables to eat your 2 hour lunches at.
I do my camping civilised in France smile learnt from observing fellow campers over the years.

cheerup Sat 23-Feb-13 11:27:10

Serenity 10mm self inflating mat double is currently 49.99 from Outdoor megastore. If you also get your EHU lead from there you'll qualify for free delivery as over 50.00. Ours has 3 sockets on it - think thats pretty standard. Just make sure its s proper camping one from somehwere reputable.

Definitely take something for draining pasta/veg and stove top coffee pot too.

Lafaminute Sat 23-Feb-13 10:48:49

If you look up camping websites they will tell you what cable you need for your electricity. I think campsite shops often sell the adaptors too but that will give you only one socket so maybe an adaptor so you can plug in two things at once??

Lafaminute Sat 23-Feb-13 10:47:15

I used blow up mattresses (not 100% blown up) and had THE best nights sleep ever for the whole holiday!
Campsite washing machines can be rubbish so maybe some vanish or something to pre-soak - I spent a fortune on WM jetons and they didn't even take out the most basic stains.
TORCHES!!! and keep them all together.
Rubber gloves and a draining mat - I found these to be invaluable for washing up - and I am generally not a fan of washing up (would've packed the dishwasher if I could!!)
We used under laminate flooring insulation sheets (very thin but effective) under the airbeds
We didn't do a lot of cooking as it was a lot of effort (upside: I lost weight!!)
but we only used our gas burner for making coffee (A COFFEE POT!!) and pasta and used bbq for all else.
We used a bucket for night-time loo emergencies - they only happened in the first few nights as everyones bladders obviously got used to holding out!
colander/strainer for washing fruit/veg and draining pasta.

1996timeforchange Sat 23-Feb-13 10:36:07

Put duvet / Pillows in the vac storage bags, ( u'll be needing a pump / deflater for the home journey!!) saves on space

Waswondering Sat 23-Feb-13 10:16:59

Any links to good self inflating mats? Also wondered about the camping aerobeds?

Potty ... Ponders. That is something I worry about ... For me!

Site seems to have a sensible view re men's swimwear (checked that out before booking ...)

mirry2 Sat 23-Feb-13 09:53:30

Tracksuits (for when the temperature drops at night) and a potty (in case anybody is caught short in the nght)

MousyMouse Sat 23-Feb-13 09:48:04

I would alo take a few laundry detergent tabs, in case you need to do a wash (and get tons of euros in coins for the laundromat)

cheerup Sat 23-Feb-13 09:38:16

For washing clothes mainly but also handy for washing up pans, Bbq grill
etc Campsites usually have a big sink you can wash clothes in but it never has a plug.

MousyMouse Sat 23-Feb-13 09:38:04

oh yes to the plug.
mostly the sinks there don't have plugs!

MousyMouse Sat 23-Feb-13 09:37:10

I would get some self inflating iso mats as well. it can get cold on airbeds.

- adapter for charging phone
- budgie smugglers for any male family members (or they will not be allowed in the pool)
- extra blankets (to wrap in when sitting around in the cold evenings)
- hot water bottle(s)

- over counter medicines, you can only get them in pharmacies over there which have ridiculous opening times and often staff refuse to speak anything but french...

Waswondering Sat 23-Feb-13 09:31:08

Awesome, thank you.

Why do I need a plug for the sink? I assumed would wash up in a basin ...

cheerup Sat 23-Feb-13 09:23:03

plug... universal sink plug. I know what I mean even if nobody else doessmile

cheerup Sat 23-Feb-13 09:13:16

suitable bowl ... for fruit! we have an outwell folding bowl which works as a fruit bowl/mixing bowl/salad bowl and serving bowl!

cheerup Sat 23-Feb-13 09:10:44

We did a total of 24 nights camping in France last year, here's my list. Not definitive but I would miss any of the following,..
corkscrew and plastic wine glasses
sharp knife and small chopping board for saucisson/cheese
suitable bowl
tupperware/ziplock bags
travel wash
washing line/pegs
antibac wipes
trugs x2 - washing up and bin
sheets
pillows
bin liners
plug
matches
breakfast cereal
squash
tea bags
bottle of water
ehu lead and adapter - check with site how long a lead you'll need
plug in lamp/light
two tables _ one for eating at, one for food prep and storage
comfy chairs
picnic blanket
coolbag/box and cooling blocks for journey/days out/supermarket shopping on very hot days
portable dvd to keep kids occupied in the car, early morning and during aperitif time!

We have an Outwell Serenity double self inflating mat that is very comfy.

Have a great time!

Waswondering Fri 22-Feb-13 21:33:08

Thanks ... We've driven to France before so have most stuff apart from breathalyser kits .... Will obv check the most up to date list before we go.

Have euro camped when dc were younger but this is the first time with our own tent ....

gemma4d Fri 22-Feb-13 21:28:13

off topic but remember the ridiculously long list of stuff you need to make your car France-legal!

Waswondering Thu 21-Feb-13 20:02:38

Heading to a Castels (nice) site in July with our own tent. We are hiring a fridge, bbq and furniture from the campsite.

What do we need to take?

- we have electricity on our pitch. What do we need to access this? We don't have a cable .... Any recommendations?
- whats the best mattress for dh and me? I much prefer duvets to sleeping bags and am looking for a back-friendly mattress that is comfortable. The dc will have air beds and sleeping bags.
- we have a 2 burner gas thing ... Is that ok? Imagining steaks on BBQ and take out pizza will be dinners of choice.

Is there a definitive list of what to take, without the kitchen sink? The site seems well equipped!

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now