Talk to me about all things bell tent

(10 Posts)
lisad123everybodydancenow Mon 18-Feb-13 19:41:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lovecat Mon 18-Feb-13 20:10:28

5m or an Emperor, unless you only want to sleep in it and nothing else.

I don't like having a heat source too close to the tent so we cook under a tarp pegged out in a ridge tent type shape - like this one. It can also act as a porch stretching out from the A frame of the tent itself with a bit of rigging, we put the table & chairs out & eat under it too.

We have zipped in and I love it, avoids most creepy crawly issues.

I haven't bought the stove because DD is mildly dyspraxic and I don't want her blundering into it. Would love one, though - depends on how much winter camping you think you'd be doing.

I love our tent, had it 4 years now and it's so easy and comfortable and just the best!

twattock Tue 19-Feb-13 19:24:52

there's 3 of us and a large dog in our 5m and it works brilliantly: it's a much nicer place to be than a standard tent but drying it out can be a problem to avoid mildew, it takes a while to put up and drop, it's very heavy and bulky so you do need a big car. love it though!

issyocean Wed 20-Feb-13 18:05:22

There are three of us and we find 4m plenty big enough.We kept the weight down by having a separate ground sheet and it has never been a problem even in last summers torrential down pours.

I took DD(5) for a week away just the two of us and it only took 20mins to put up and take down.It's very simple once you have the knack.Biggest problem is drying properly.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 20-Feb-13 18:11:46

There are two of us and we have a 5m one. I like space. We cook in the tent. We've got one of the quarter bedrooms for sleeping in. Then another quarter is the "sitting room"' another quarter is the "kitchen" then the last quarter is where bags, etc are stored.

I've got a zipped in tent. We've only used it twice, dd is 11 so I put it up and take it down on my own. First time I took it down in one go in a monsoon and as the canvas was so wet it was really heavy and I nearly couldn't get it in the car. Couldn't get it in the bag, just stuffed it in the boot in a heap.

Dried it out at home and unzipped it. Bought a second carry bag for transporting it. Went camping and couldn't zip the fucking thing back together. Some nice man on the campsite helped me, so it's obviously possible but I found it very difficult. It's put me off it a bit now. We're going to centre parcs in the summer this year instead!

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 20-Feb-13 19:21:01

VivaLeBeaver Wed 20-Feb-13 20:33:25

I'm toying with the idea of selling it, though don't think I'll sell it this year. I dunno, part of me thinks that dd is getting too old to enjoy camping these days.

There isn't a cooking area. I just cook in the main tent, just with an electric hob with ehu. Wouldn't with a gas hob.

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 20-Feb-13 21:37:42

Uppermid Thu 21-Feb-13 20:40:11

You would defended a 5m. A friend has a 4m, they're a family of 4 and I think they wished they gone for the 5.

We have. 5m, we also have the half inner tent but we've stopped using it, we don't feel. You need it and its just more crap to pack!!

Whilst they do take longer to dry, our old nylon tent also used to take ages to dry out and was a really awkward shape so had to keep moving things around.

I would not recommend cooking inside the tent at all ever. You can always get a tarp to cook underneath. To be honest we always cook on open fires, even in the rain!!

We have the zipped in and have not had any problems at all, though I've not heard of any problems with the separate either.

We don't have stove so can't comment I'm afraid.

paysdegex Sun 24-Feb-13 15:56:54

Definitely 5m. We're a family of 4 with no dog yet and plumped for the 5m - we love it. It's really spacious, but given the kids are still quite little we wanted space to grow into it.

We also have the half inner tent because we're just too messy for open-plan living, I couldn't handle the jumble - but we have camped without it. I read a suggestion somewhere (after we'd bought the inner) of using a cheap pop-up tent to create a kid's sleeping space instead.

With the inner up (we fashioned a divider using a bedsheet to separate kids' and adults' bedrooms), there was room for table and chairs and gubbins in one quarter and a picnic mat on the floor for the kids to play cards/scatter pencils on rainy days on without being too much underfoot.

Covet the stove, but icey-tek cool box is currently topping the list of items-to-obsess-about-until-you-give-in-and-just-get-one essential camping equipment, so that might have to wait for another year. Also want a tarp. Sigh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now