"Frost Camp" - recommended kit?

(7 Posts)
AChickenCalledKorma Tue 08-Jan-13 17:57:57

DD1 has just joined Scouts. They are going on their first camp ...... in two weeks' time! It's called Frost Camp - and probably for good reason!

Has anyone got any good tips about kit for keeping warm. She is skinny and feels the cold, but she's determined to go.

She has a decent mummy-style, three-season sleeping bag. I wondered about a fleece sleeping bag liner to boost it up a bit - does anyone use them and do they make a difference?

We normally use self-inflating mats but hers has a puncture so she needs a new one anyway.

She has a couple of pairs of warm-lined cargo trousers and a couple of sets of thermal underwear so I think she'll be OK during the day. It's the nights that worry me a bit!

zumo Tue 08-Jan-13 19:41:44

Wear a hat all the time apart from the shower!
I have been known to wear two!
Our daughter really feels the cold, she has a Down 4 season( feather pack up really small but very warm) sleeping bag with a fleece liner, she is fine, the liners do make a difference and are good value for the warmth they give.
You need to keep her off the floor as loads of heat will be lost through it.
Hot water bottle is good too..
Never go to bed cold, run around and get warm then go to bed, I am sure the Scout leaders will have it well covered but it can put her off for life if she is cold and wet.
She should pack her own kit as then she can find it when required.
Get her a cheap head torch ideal for nocturnal visits to the loo etc, £1 shop one is fine then it dosnt matter if it gets lost. Have a secret stash of energy food, if she feels down it will bring her back up, Choc, oat based bars etc
I could go on for hours, our son (13) sleeps with no tent just ties a sheet between two trees and off he goes! He uses a 30 year old down bag as if it gets damaged its not the end of the world. We have used this forum for info on similar matters when we started out and the kids did D of E, nice bunch and very helpful
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/content.php
If I can help just ask

ravenAK Tue 08-Jan-13 19:46:06

Good quality socks for night time - best to have a thinnish pair & then some nice thick ones over the top.

Layers for sleeping in - vest & cotton leggings under pyjamas. She can always peel the pyjamas off if she gets too warm once they've been packed in six to a tent for an hour or so.

Matildaduck Tue 08-Jan-13 20:11:21

Sleeping on something...a Blanket or an old seventies style sleeping bag makes a huge difference.

Matildaduck Tue 08-Jan-13 20:12:02

Sorry i ment your airbed on so ething.

AChickenCalledKorma Wed 09-Jan-13 14:28:15

This is brilliant! Thanks everyone. Several things I hadn't thought of there. I need to think creatively about what she can sleep on (am cursing the fact we disposed of several clapped-out old sleeping bags when we moved house three months ago!)

And yes, I'm sure the Scout leaders will have some good strategies in place - I presume that learning to keep warm is part of the purpose of the event!

Theas18 Wed 09-Jan-13 14:29:09

Hat!

Thermals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now