Need your recommendations in France, Atlantic coast

(4 Posts)
melrose Sun 06-Jan-13 14:37:56

Having trawled the web I am turning to the expertise of mumsnet campers!

Looking to go to France in August, with our own tent. Have been to vendee (tranche sur mer) before and think we want to go a bit further south, perhaps near Bordeaux.

We would like to be within walking distance of a nice beach and a nice town. When we were in tranche we loved being able to walk off site for a drink in the evening. Would like a nice pool area perhaps with a slide which will suit all ages. We have 3 kids who I'll be 9 6 and 2. Nice showers etc a must. Want somewhere with enough going on for the kids but not overly keen on lots of clubs and evening entertainment.

Look forward to hearing some recommendations, nine every camping holiday we have been on has been recommended on mumsnet!

overthemill Sun 06-Jan-13 15:35:22

we loved la palmyrie, royan. mates went to le vieux port, messanges and loved that too.

Lafaminute Mon 07-Jan-13 18:56:31

In my experience it is hard to find campsites within walking distance of a town. We did stay in a campsite called Village Corsaire des deux Plages in Chatelaillon-Plage which was a few minutes walk from Chatelaillon which is a gorgeous unusual town south of La Rochelle but the campsite was pretty yuck. There were other campsites in the area but none seemed much better. The sites seemed cramped and the mobiles were on top of each other. Other than that we stayed in Parc de La Cote Sauvage - beside La Palmyre which we LOVED. Right on the beach, very relaxed, but the beach was not one your children could swim off - wild! There was a calmer beach a few minutes cycle away. No village/town within walking distance but withing cycling distance on good cycling paths and bike hire at the campsite. We thought these were the cleanest loos/showers though from reading reviews we asked to be pitched near the most modern block and think this was what made the difference. This is the site the kids (then 9 and 3) would ask to go back to as they made friends - french and english and it just had a good feel to it. We also stayed further south in La Sylvamar in Labenne - which we hated though it had the best reviews of all those we stayed at last year - far too big and the area was yuck there was a grotty strip of half hearted bars, etc nearby. It had 5 stars but grotty loos/showers. Our last hol (first in a tent in years-have been staying in mobiles for years) really taught us that one mans dream destination is another's hell! This year we will go back to La Palmyre and then onto the Arcachon Basin which I am about to post about.....

badger21 Tue 08-Jan-13 12:07:00

Not quite where you're after Melrose, but we love La Grainetiere on the Ile de Re. Relatively small campsite for the island (compared to others). The cleanest campsite pool I've ever seen, with a beautifully designed roof that they can pull sections over if the weather is dodgy, only a small slide for toddler size kids though into shallow toddler section. Jacuzzi for older ones and tired parents!. Quite close to a main road, but you don't really notice it, and about 10 mins walk to the nearest towns - either La Flotte or St Martin which both have fab harbours, posh people in boats, cafes etc ... and cycling tracks everywhere. Can rent bikes everywhere (and trailers for 2yr old and beach stuff) - wouldn't really need to use the car at all once you got there.
Occasional entertainment, good bar on site next to pool, understated (French) kids club, and a wide mix of different nationalities.
We've been twice, in August, and loved it both times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now