Where are you going camping this year?

(73 Posts)
CyclesPerfecta Wed 02-Jan-13 20:19:16

Just being nosy really.

We will go to New Forest at least once: www.campingintheforest.co.uk/england/new-forest/hollands-wood-campsite

would like to go to this site in Dorset: www.woodfarm.co.uk/index.php

and possibly to this site near Canterbury: www.yewtreepark.com/

and if we're lucky and get our booking early, then probably to this site in France, Savoy Alps: www.lesrivesdulac-annecy.com/en/32/Discover-Annecy-and-its-surroundings.aspx

hillbilly Sun 13-Jan-13 22:34:14

There are 2 Tom's Fields. We camped at the one which is next to sandyballs in the New Forest and tbh, it's nothing special. 1 long field which runs alongside a main road with loads of boy racers charging along the road all night. Great rope swing foe the kids and they allow fires but nothing else to speak of.

Tyaca - thanks for the info. I'll bear it in mind.

tyaca Fri 11-Jan-13 21:13:56

aren't there two Tom's Fields really near each other?

hillbilly, the lake runs along one side of the site. some of the pitches are right on it "the avenue", i think that bit's called. but the main family field is a bit further away, past a bit of woodland, and it's possible to pitch quite a way from the water. it's a really nicely set up campsite tbh. i took a 4 and 2 yo last year and we just watched them play in the middle of that field. you can also pitch in woodland.

MegBusset Wed 09-Jan-13 14:37:01

We went to Tom's Field a few years ago and it was great.

Have just booked at Clippesby Hall for the last weekend of May half term (only a few pitches left!).

lisad123everybodydancenow Tue 08-Jan-13 19:32:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mascarpone Tue 08-Jan-13 15:14:02

We are going to go to Tom's Field Camping in Dorset. Have just picked the site out of the air really - usually, we really look forward to planning where we are camping but somehow this year, DH and I aren't really in the mood sad.

So if anyone's going to tell me the site is rubbish, speak out soon as I have the reservation form sitting on my desk ready to post grin.

We might also go to Swiss Farm in Henley-on-Thames for a couple of nights in May to take the kids to Legoland.

New airbeds have arrived today....woohoo!

TwoFacedCows Tue 08-Jan-13 13:16:01

matilda, its not just little ones that comment! a lady commented on my boobs, they are quite large, and she 'thought she has big boobs, but they are nothing compared to mine' blush her DH and my DH were nodding in agreement! grin haha

Arcticwaffle Tue 08-Jan-13 12:57:20

We're getting the ferry to Santander and like sites without too much entertainment, but we haven't picked them out yet. I'll come back when we've done it but we aren't rushing as we quite like the municipal sites anyway and in France you can always find them without booking.

I would assume no campfires in Spain anyway, they have fire problems in many areas.

hillbilly Tue 08-Jan-13 12:51:52

Arcticwaffle - you're maybe just the person I need! I've been posting during the winter but Camping has been soooo quiet. Anyway - I'm looking for smallish campsites in Northern Spain or SW France. I'd like to get the ferry to Bilbao or Santander and drive a few hours from there. Nothing too hugely commercial, not interested in evening entertainment or mega pools with all the slides, just something simple and good for kids (5 + 7). We love a campfir here in the UK but realise that may not be possible there.

Arcticwaffle Tue 08-Jan-13 12:35:04

We are going to N Spain/Pyrenees in August. Hopefully we'll have a few weekends in Cornwall/Devon/S Wales/Lakes too but last year they all got rained off.

We've been to a couple of naturist sites in France, DP and the friends we go with, and the dc, are all keen, so we've been sometimes, I'm less keen but I see it as a super-effective weight-loss incentive. Just the thought of it makes me lose 10lb... IMO naturist sites are often quiet and spacious with great facilities for the price. But really I prefer to keep my clothes on.

hillbilly Tue 08-Jan-13 12:32:45

Tyaca - is Nethergong suitable for 5 & 7 yr old? - just thinking about the lake. I remember someone mentioning it on here last year (Blu perhaps?)

Binfullofresolutionsfor10thjan Tue 08-Jan-13 12:27:11

After being subjected to a rather painful weekend on a nudist beach, at ages 12 and 14 with my parents, which ended in a particularly energetic game of frisbee with them and my geography teacher, I can say safely that nudist holidays with older impressionable children are out.

For younger children it could be fun though. It does look lovely.

Matildaduck Tue 08-Jan-13 08:00:45

My lo comments on everything it would be a nightmare! Looks like a lovely place tho.

TwoFacedCows Mon 07-Jan-13 15:00:11

matilda, it was great!

We stayed in a cottage, the owners we lovely! the dogs were treated like royalty! Its is set in around 23 acres, 3 big lagoons, great for swimming! lots of walking, loads of little walk ways cut out. The kids love it!

And the best bit is not having to pack many clothes!

When you get too hot sunbathing, just jump in the lagoon nude! lovely!

hotbot Mon 07-Jan-13 08:56:30

We are hoping to go to
http://www.greenwaysleisure.co.uk/
But they haven't replied yet, impatient,
We have a brand new tent , bought end of season , it even has a carpet and a bit of an awning so we can cook there. Dh and I even have our own bedroom"

lisad123everybodydancenow Mon 07-Jan-13 08:44:15

Matildaduck Mon 07-Jan-13 07:58:01

Its. *Twas the shock!

Matildaduck Mon 07-Jan-13 07:57:29

Two faced sit a naturist site.......:-0

Matildaduck Mon 07-Jan-13 07:55:20

Hi, i'm going to trellyn, mine are both under 5!! :-)

So very excited...has anyone visited?

We might try the sherwood forest site mentioned up thread as that looks nice.

Unless anyone has any other magical sites up their sleeve.......pretty please....

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 06-Jan-13 22:43:37

TwoFacedCows Sun 06-Jan-13 22:22:32

It is in Pembrokeshire too!

TwoFacedCows Sun 06-Jan-13 22:21:51

We went Here in September this year.

We loved it, beautiful grounds, VERY dog friendly and also has a couple of cottages and log cabins. Gorgeous lagoons, and the Managers Jo and Mike are fab, such lovely couple!

We will be back this year for sure!

tyaca Sun 06-Jan-13 22:14:05

cor camping has got busy all of sudden smile

half term we are heading to pembrokeshire, this site, been there before and loved it. hope for better weather than half term last year when we were booked into longthornes but cancelled cause of the weather - would have bumped into Lisa123 if we'd gone!

can't remember who's going to trellyn? i am jealous! our kids are 4 and 3 and i think they're prob a bit too young for the site. for the moment, we're better off with a set up where we can see them.

hillbilly, get ye to nethergong! really, it's lovely.

and then france for three weeks in summer. only our second family holiday. la garangoire for the first bit, then hopefully dordogne for the second bit.

hillbilly Sun 06-Jan-13 18:13:40

We'll be going to Forgewood in Kent as usual for at least one weekend and possibly Breck Farm in Norfolk. I need to look for some new places too that allow fires in South East.

colleysmill Sun 06-Jan-13 15:03:09

Thanks mrsmcenroe it was about 5 years ago we stayed there (and before dc!) but remember it being a nice site and a great pub!

professorpoopsnagle Sun 06-Jan-13 13:36:52

You could consider the Northdown site at Eweleaze. This site only has 2 large fields although there isn't a playground as such, more of a gathering at the haybales. Didn't buy food there so can't comment on that but the showers were better than we thought. They are in an individual wooden shed thing (like a portaloo) where there is plenty of space to get dressed, and the showers were warm. The website says they are solar powered but I think there is a little bit of gas help going on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now