UK campsites within walking distance of a good family beach.

(49 Posts)
loubielou31 Sun 02-Dec-12 22:41:27

We have a camper van and so for our main holiday it is handy if we can walk to the beach rather that having to pack everything up to drive there.
We have four children from 3 - 12 so the walk can't be too long and the beach needs to be suitable for children.

Last year we stayed at Gwithian Farm fairly near St Ives in Cornwall and I completely recommend it. It's in a perfect location for our needs, the site is really well run, no entertainment or bar etc but the chip van comes twice a week and a bakery van in the mornings. The only negative thing I can think of is the site is a bit windy.

We would very happily go there again but I like the idea of visiting some other places too.

I know that it's early but I also know the good places book up very quickly.

TINKERBELLE33 Sat 13-Apr-13 11:51:31

I was told last year that magic cove has a waiting list for summer holiday weeks and they take regulars before newbies, though not sure that is correct. We tried and failed last year.

If you look up magic cove on UK campsite there is another site right next door. Can't remember the name and just off out now so can't look it up sorry! Friends of ours camp there every year and say its great. Very basic but clean.

spongebobscardypants Mon 15-Apr-13 11:04:59

Any in Wales?

GoSuckEggs Mon 15-Apr-13 11:08:19

norman bay, pevensey. It is opposite the beach, you just cross the very quiet road

Lucycat Mon 15-Apr-13 18:29:50

ooh Golden cap is lovely - stunning coastal locationa nd you can walk across the fields/ cliffs to Downhouse Farm for a cream tea.

Milliways Mon 15-Apr-13 21:22:00

Thankyou LucyCat - will have a look there, smile

MegBusset Mon 15-Apr-13 21:31:42

Black Rock Sands in Llyn has an amazing beach, campsite's quiet but nice, we stayed there a few years back.

Pinewoods is the site at Wells-next-the-Sea BUT it's not a brilliant site (Portaloos only in camping field, crowded and noisy in peak season), you can't book, and actually from the site to the beach is a fair old trek esp with littlies.

Normans Bay is a great site but it's a shingle beach.

Pentewan is fab, we went there last summer too smile

Waxham Sands is on our list to try sometime.

FaceCake Mon 15-Apr-13 21:48:22

Camber Sands

Haven't been for a couple of years, but it was always a cheapish and cheerful place, sandy beach just across the road. Kids entertainment, swimming pool the lot on site.

Pocketmonster Mon 15-Apr-13 22:04:13

www.minydonholidayhomepark.co.uk/

Fabulous sandy beach a 5 minute walk away

Or

www.hendremynach.co.uk/

Again short walk or shorter bike ride to a sandy beach.

Pocketmonster Mon 15-Apr-13 22:05:17

Should have said both are in Snowdonia National Park and it is stunning scenery.

Milliways Sat 27-Apr-13 14:45:30

Lucycat, thank you! We are currently sat in the sunshine at Downhouse Farm drinking Ginger beer and eating fruitcake smile

SignoraStronza Sat 27-Apr-13 15:03:37

Durdle Door in Dorset if you don't mind a walk back up the cliff/hill. There's usually an ice cream van half way up to break up the return to camp.

GoldenHares Sat 27-Apr-13 23:07:00

Southwold.

DaveMccave Tue 30-Apr-13 23:44:33

Shell island in Wales. You drive on to the island when the tides out, and you pretty much camp on the beach. There is a pub/playground/camp shop but you can camp right on the other side of the island to all that if you prefer. Lots of castles and towns and things nearby too.

Milliways Sat 21-Sep-13 18:59:39

We have just come back from a late break, and Thanks again to previous bookmarked MN threads tried the Newgale Site and Nicholaston Farm in the Gower.

Both have fantastic beaches and the facilities at Nicholaston are amazing - will definately go back there when it is warmer!

DH said Thanks to Mumsnet for all the camping recommendations. smile

loubielou31 Sun 15-Dec-13 21:48:46

I know this is an old thread but there were some good sites on here. So sorry I'm going to reanimate it and ask for any more recommendations.

SantasTessTackle Sun 15-Dec-13 21:55:41

Hendre mynach in Barmouth North Wales.
I spent every childhood summer there and it's heaven on earth.

ChristmasStrumpet Sun 15-Dec-13 21:58:50

Chy Carne - 5 to 10 minute walk down to Kennack Sands which is lifeguarded has rock pools, cafe, loos etc.

JingleJohnsJulie Fri 27-Dec-13 21:51:19

We've stayed at this one and loved it.

Blu Sat 28-Dec-13 14:30:40

Does anyone know of any coastal / beach sites that allow camp fires?

VivaLeBeaver Sat 28-Dec-13 14:39:03

Eweleaze near Weymouth allows campfires and has its own beach.

Flossiechops Sat 28-Dec-13 16:54:29

We stayed at Uk St.Davids during the very hot spell at the end of July. Walking distance to Whitesands beach - just adore Pembrokeshire smile

Flossiechops Sat 28-Dec-13 16:56:12

Darn it try again Lleithyr Farm

melrose Fri 03-Jan-14 00:52:34

Heathland beach at kessingland suffolk is dab, walking distance of a beach, close to southwold and lovely outdoor pool

Cooroo Fri 03-Jan-14 07:42:04

Beadnell Bay in Nothumberland - campsite across road (not safe for small children) from wonderful wild beach. We go every August, weather usually good even when pissing it down in the south and we do beach barbecues. No one seems to mind!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now