Camping in the May half term - is it freezing?

(10 Posts)
hannahem Sat 10-Nov-12 16:58:49

Hiya,

The title says it all really!! We camped for the first time last summer, but only in the main summer holidays, we'd love to go somewhere for the whole week in the May half term, probably Norfolk kind of area and wondered whether we would be freezing at night!! We all have 3 season sleeping bags (though I was still cold in August, yes I am a wimp!)

Any advice from seasoned campers gratefully received. smile

MrsMc82 Sat 10-Nov-12 18:18:24

we went last May bank hols (so bit earlier) and it was got down to MINUS 3 one night...... i was effing freeeezing - a but that was a freakishly cold may - mind you 2yo DS had so many layers on that he was fine and slept perfectly (he had a popper vest, cotton sleepsuit, long sleeve t-shirt, fleece sleepsuit, jumper and a hoody!! blush ).

though we also went at Easter this year and were nice and toasty and even went as late as Nov last year.

I think so long as its not actually frosty you can keep nice and warm. Reckon I've perfected making a snuggly be2d from various MN tips, apparenty whats under you is just as important as your sleeping bag so I make sure theres one of those plastic-y insulated backed picnic blankets oon the ground sheet, then the SIM's (ours are only cheapey ones but the thicker the better) then DH and I share 2 double sleeping bag, i pop one under us and one over us..... 2.9yo ds is the same except he's in a mummy bag all to himself with two thick fleecy blankets under him......

ProphetOfDoom Sat 10-Nov-12 18:25:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

feetheart Sat 10-Nov-12 18:27:08

We go to a festival in Suffolk the week before May half-term every year and its usually lovely. Can be windy (it is East Anglia after all), will probably be chilly at night and be prepared for rain but we don't usually get it and we have come back with a tan shock
We are hardened campers but I am a real wimp re cold, especially at night, just have to layer up A LOT, preferably with a pure wool cardie on top and woolly socks. I have contemplated a hat but haven't succumbed yet smile

ChippyMinton Sat 10-Nov-12 18:29:54

We camped the early May BH, when it was frosty, and were cosy with:

a layer of foil survival blankets
SIMS
fleece blanket
sleeping bag each (nothing fancy)
down duvet over the top
woolly hat

hannahem Sat 10-Nov-12 19:27:03

Thank you, v useful advice. Though am slightly scared by the thought of sub zero temperatures! We have got rid of our rubbish cheapie air beds which seemed to deflate every night so we almost ended up sleeping on the ground, which didn't help! We've now got SIMS to go on top of camp beds so hopefully better all round.

Will be looking to pack duvets and sleeping bags ... And a woolly hat!

blondefriend Sat 01-Dec-12 21:57:38

We went camping in Devon at Easter last year which was really cold (we packed our king-sized duvet to have over all our sleeping bags. But Dorset in May was absolutely fine, didn't even use the extra blankets and I also feel the cold. It was a bit chilly in the evenings but once we were in our bags it was fine.

MegBusset Sat 01-Dec-12 22:05:53

We went in half term this year (1st weekend of June, a week later than normal because of the Jubilee). We had two nights booked, the first day was gloriously hot and sunny, then overnight it started raining and didn't stop for the next 24 hours, we stuck it out though! Temperature-wise it was fine we'll gloss over the leaky tent roof

PeasandCucumbers Sun 02-Dec-12 10:24:09

We've been camping over the Easter w/e for the last few years, this year in the Brecons, we could see snow on the peaks whilst pitching the tent but the children all loved it, we had our 2 who were 6 & 7 then my twin neices who were 14. Not a single complaint about the weather although I don't think I took my thermal base layer off once except to shower grin

loubielou31 Sun 02-Dec-12 22:46:48

Easter is often really good weather but yes still cold at night.
If you prepare for it properly you can keep warm though.
If you have the room I recommend buying a electric hook up unit and taking a fan heater. It's what we do to keep warm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now