Camp Bestival 2012

(140 Posts)
Grockle Sun 25-Mar-12 16:46:14

Is anyone going?

I've never been before and have questions...

Do we need camping plus?
Will the showers be a nightmare?
How much does food cost?

Any tips?

BerryLellow Thu 21-Jun-12 07:30:45

Yes! And dragging cousin with us grin

Monica1972 Thu 28-Jun-12 16:57:27

has anyone tried the teepees? Just wondered what they're like?

BerryLellow Thu 28-Jun-12 18:33:48

Today I bought a tent carpet grin <priorities>

ladyandthechocolate Tue 17-Jul-12 20:15:09

Bumpety bump! How's the planning going? Only just over a week to go. Fingers tightly crossed that it doesn't rain (too much).

lobsters Tue 17-Jul-12 20:36:28

Anyone else getting hopeful about the weather? I'm becoming obsessed. I've just ordered coffee mugs so we can make real coffee for breakfast. However someone has just taken a chunk out of my car, I'll have to make sure it doesn't go into the garage before next Thursday.

We're not getting there until Friday lunchtime, then have to get set up. Hope we don't miss too much

ladyandthechocolate Tue 17-Jul-12 22:15:45

If it rains like it has done recently I think I might cry. 4 wet dc might be too much for us. But think positive...the rain can't go on forever can it? <pleads>

thrifty Wed 18-Jul-12 16:47:06

Lady, it is going to be dry this week and next now, high pressure moving in, so hopefully will not be wet and muddy smile I have been watching the weather obsessively, as its my first festival and the thought of mud on the scale of the isle of wight festival makes me want to cry smile

BerryLellow Wed 18-Jul-12 22:27:04

I have been looking at Accuweather daily for about a week now blush

We arrive on Thursday, and I think I have bought all essentials. I now need to work out how to shoehorn it all into the car.

Lists, I need to make lists...

Been obsessing over Accuweather since the Thursday came into range! Bit shock to see thunderstorms on the Thursday at one point, but that's disappeared now! It keeps changing, but I think the worst case IoW scenario is ruled out now (plus Mr da Bank has been terribly reassuring about the geology of Lulworth!)

In packing news, my bastard PC, which had the master packing list on it, has died. I would have printed the list a few weeks earlier, but back then the printer was being a bastard. I did start populating a packing app on my iPad, but didn't finish it. So - gah. I think I can do the packing for camping in the usual method - ie think about sleeping, list mats, sleeping bags, liners, pillows, etc, and I have a little list of CB specials:

Bucket (mostly for hair washing)
Collapsible water carrier (not for drinking water, tastes gopping, again for hair washing)
Money belt
Wine (cos I don't normally take wine camping, honest ...)
Phone charger
Earplugs (actually I always take these)
Glow sticks!!
Gloucestershire flag and pole (if I can find it, and not leave it in the car this year)

And the trolley!

Got a lovely selection of audiobooks to keep the kids (and us) entertained on the journeys. I am now wildly looking forward to it, assisted by improved weather forecast and having finished school/work for the summer yesterday. The thing is, I can't really remember why, I just know we all had a blast last year!

BerryLellow Sat 21-Jul-12 09:43:58

I hadn't thought of washing hair in a bucket! Interesting....

I was thinking I might make a Kernow flag actually too

<steals DCMB's packing list>

fivegomadindorset Sat 21-Jul-12 09:47:30

Lulworth weather is amazing, we can be shrouded in fog, get to the top of the hill and at the end of the woods, it is brilliant sunshine, we could have hail, half a mile away could be lovely and vice versa. We had a slight rain showere yesterday, it is cool but excpected to be dry today and lovely again tomorrow, things are arriving.

Hello five!!!

Sounds like Scarborough weather - I used to have to talk to guy up there a lt, he'd sign off 'from a wet and windy Scarborough' then five minutes latere 'from a fine and sunny Scarborough' and so on. When I finally went up to see him in person I realised he wasn't exaggerating!

Bucket is also useful for spitting toothpaste into, and discarding unwanted wine. Well, I'm just guessing about the latter, tbh.

Have added duct tape, camera & spare battery, sunscreen (optimistic) and face paints to the list.

fivegomadindorset Sat 21-Jul-12 13:10:29

Oh yes the Mist Rolling In doesn't just happen in the Mull of Kintyre.

BerryLellow Sat 21-Jul-12 21:41:19

Unwanted wine? confused

BerryLellow Sat 21-Jul-12 21:42:50

grin

I already have the face paints and will need sun cream as I've already burnt one shoulder today

First timers here and first time campers too - I'm a bit nervous! I haven't got the first clue what I'm doing! Going with a big gang of old-timers so that'll make it easier but there must be loads of camping essentials I've never heard of.

I have heard of tents, so that is a start. grin

Tent is an excellent start. Then you need something to sleep in and on, something to see by when it goes dark, some wine, something to drink your wine out of, and something to sit on while you drink your wine.

Also a bucket, some duct tape, earplugs, fairy wings, and as much cash as you can lay your hands on (for food, and in case you run out of wine).

That's the kind of list I like!

fivegomadindorset Tue 24-Jul-12 18:19:16

The weather is stonkingly hot and from what I can see it is looking good.

sailorsgal Tue 24-Jul-12 18:20:19

We are going for the first time this year! As having just come back from holiday I am hoping its going to cheer me up from my post holiday blues!

fivegomadindorset Tue 24-Jul-12 18:22:17

Have fun, drove past earlier and from what I could see over the wall, all is progressing very nicely indeed.

sailorsgal Tue 24-Jul-12 18:27:16

We have camping plus and have paid for an extra pitch with a friend so we have plenty of space for our little horrors

FoxSake Tue 24-Jul-12 21:51:53

Late here but we're going for the first time with a 7, 5 yo and 6 month old baby, madness perhaps but i'm really excited. We're going with friends and couldn't get camping plus as they were all sold out, hoping that we get ok pitches as we can only get there Thursday afternoon.

Have, alcohol, fairy lights, sling, clothes, coffee making equipment, calpol, piriton, for actual hay fever not to drug them I promise.

whats on everyone's must see list?

StarlightWithAsteroid Tue 24-Jul-12 22:09:36

We're going for first time with 5yr old, 3yr old and 5 week old baby! grin

StarlightWithAsteroid Tue 24-Jul-12 22:11:11

Don't have anything yet. Well obviously the clothes are in the wardrobe that we'll pull out. Prolly stop at supermarket on way and live on cereal bars.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now