Calorie counting & pregnant - stupid?

(6 Posts)
cindyrella Sat 21-May-16 09:32:21

Hello all
I have been calorie counting for about 2 months ; seen huge success. I'm not overweight but I was heading that way fast.

Now I have found I am pregnant (6 weeks) which is planned although still a surprise (I am 40)

I love calorie counting as it focuses me in the little crap snacks I would have throughout the day & I feel much much healthier for it. But my question is should I be calorie counting while pregnant? I eat extremely well, I'm vegetarian but am very careful to get the right mix of protein, calcium etc in my diet. I think MFP would help me eat in a more balanced way & I don't want to put on tok much weight during pregnancy.

Mincepies76 Sat 21-May-16 11:24:54

I'm sure you still can, I use nutracheck and it asks if you're pregnant so I assume if you are you get more cals per day. Wish I'd been more healthy when I was pregnant...I was 4 stone overweight after both my pregnancies blush

splendide Mon 23-May-16 13:37:47

You should probably speak to your midwife? I was BMI 25ish I think when I became pregnant and I did continue to count calories but at a maintenance level - from memory I was eating about 2100 a day. On the day after I'd given birth I think I was about 10lbs heavier than when I conceived.

RunnerOnTheRun Tue 24-May-16 06:59:56

It's absolutely fine Cindy! As long as you're not tracking for weight loss, and follow your nose a bit too! Don't fight the need for growth foods (clean carbs - porridge, grains etc) as that placenta is about to go on a hell of a growth spurt, good luck!

cindyrella Tue 24-May-16 11:50:31

Thank you. I'm currently in 1200 a day. I'll up that to maintain weight & listen to my body & see how that goes.

Pinkheart5915 Tue 24-May-16 11:54:02

My bmi has always been good but I always track calories any way
I am 28 weeks pregnant and although I am in no way dieting I am still tracking calories on my first news pal. I do have a few more treats than I did pre pregnancy but don't go crazy.
I did the same when pregnant with ds last year as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now