Do you eat your exercise?

(20 Posts)
Buglife Wed 11-May-16 20:38:59

I have my pacer counter linked to my MFP and today I have 450 cals extra added to my daily total. When doing WW in the past I never used my excercise points (I figured they were a buffer for mistakes). Is there a point to eating the extra cals you've gained through excercise, or is it cancelling it out? I only say this because I'm set to 1,400 cals at the moment anyway so with all that extra it looks like I am way way under. Even had a slab of chocolate cake! I certainly don't want to eat another 450 cals right now.

Buglife Wed 11-May-16 20:43:22

Also, that comes from having done 14,367 steps today. Does your normal walking around activity really count as excercise as much as say, an extra run or a class etc? As that is my normal work plus nursery drop off and pick up total. That's only twice a week though, I struggle to do 10,000 on days with DS (not a buggy fan so long walks are out and can't walk far himself!) As my usual food plus that doesn't lead to weight loss, hence the drastic cut back on calories!

Elismum669 Tue 14-Jun-16 21:27:19

I tend not to eat my exercise Cala unless I have to - tend to be strict in week and be more flexible at weekends - remember there is a rollover. You will put on 1lb for roughly 3500 extra Cals over ur allowance each week - so if u want them eat them but if not I'd save them

PUGaLUGS Tue 14-Jun-16 21:46:52

No I don't.

Sparkletastic Tue 14-Jun-16 21:47:55

Try not to use them unless really hungry or wanting a few wine

eurochick Tue 14-Jun-16 21:53:36

Yes, definitely. I'd be starving otherwise.

Doje Tue 14-Jun-16 22:00:07

If it's from running or swimming, definitely. If they're from walking, sometimes.

As for your other question, with MFP I think you put down initially whether you're a light, medium or very active person. So if at the office - not active, PE teacher - quite active. For SAHM, I put down middle active IYSWIM.

NewYearNewNickname Thu 16-Jun-16 08:22:04

Generally I don't and as my mfp is not linked to anything else the only ones showing are those that I add for a run, cycle etc. I definitely don't eat any extra cals for walking, even though I walk the dog most days and that is around 2 miles, on top of other usual day to day walking.

ilovechocolate07 Thu 23-Jun-16 09:48:25

If I'm hungry I do but otherwise I'm a bit more flexible at the weekends.

fishonabicycle Wed 29-Jun-16 18:12:22

Nope. Mfp overestimates a lot so I don't bother.

Spandexpanties Fri 15-Jul-16 21:12:11

Under 10000 steps and I wouldn't bother eating the calories. Also if I was cycling for an hour or running for half an hour, I wouldn't bother either.

I tend to walk only 8000 steps on non exercise days. And walk up to 22000 steps on exercise days depending on the activity. With the long intense workouts, I might eat 2/3 my calories back. I get so much enjoyment from food and also from being fit. I am loosing weight gradually and don't feel deprived.

Spandexpanties Fri 15-Jul-16 21:13:45

Also I don't bother with MFP estimated calorie use. I use other apps

Toffeelatteplease Fri 15-Jul-16 21:20:19

Yes I do but only about half.

I'm on 1200 and I have set myself up as sedentary. If I don't eat back some of the calories I can easily go too low if I do end up doing a lot of exercise.

I'm not keen on the idea of saving the extras for the weekend either. In the end you need the calories when you do the exercise. If you are on 1200 cal, regular underfuelling doesn't feel too healthy.

absolutelynotfabulous Fri 22-Jul-16 22:05:39

It depends. I'm finding 1200 quite doable at the moment, and coming in under that much of the time.

I only count "very brisk" walking. I walk a lot (I run like a duck)blush and do some other cardio stuff.

I think eating back your exercise on 1400 would slow down your weight loss quite a bit compared with 1000 or 1200.

I suppose it depends on works for you. We're all different.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 22-Jul-16 22:09:00

I do. I find that if I stick to my sedentary calories + exercise then I lose weight. I might lose weight faster if I didn't but I want this to be sustainable and even including my exercise calories I am always over

absolutelynotfabulous Fri 22-Jul-16 23:02:13

Why are you going over, itsall? Have you set your level too low perhaps?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 23-Jul-16 09:49:42

I think it is more to do with my complete lack of self control issues around food...

absolutelynotfabulous Sat 23-Jul-16 11:29:15

Ah. I'm sedentary and can't go over 1200, otherwise I put weight on.

I've found cutting right back on carbs has helped me with self-control. So instead of fish fingers and rice/baked spud I'll just have the fish fingers. I can have more fish fingers ikwim, so I find it more satisfying.

teaandcake789 Mon 25-Jul-16 22:07:19

Yep I do but I've set my calorie goal to just 1000 on sedentary so if I go over (and most days I do by an extra 100-200) then I make sure I get those extra steps in to cover it. Going well so far

CharleyDavidson Mon 25-Jul-16 23:31:56

I've set my activity level as sedentary. At work I'm not sat down at all (teacher) but at weekends, evenings and the holidays I'm a lot less active unless I plan otherwise.

I use nutracheck. That expects you to do at least 6000 steps before it 'awards' you with extra cals to eat. If I need them then I use them, but I don't plan to use them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now