Can someone critique my typical diet please?

(10 Posts)
CremeDeSudo Wed 04-May-16 13:50:12

Hi everyone, I just wondered if I could have some feedback please? I'm trying to be good and come up with something I can keep at long term..here goes:

Breakfasts:
low fat granola/low fat yoghurt OR avocado on wheatgerm toast OR peanut butter/banana on toast OR scrambled egg on toast

Lunch:
Meal all prepared from home. Usually a veggie curry (sweet pots & lentls, green lentil curry, saag) or veggie chilli. Served with brown rice or quinoa.
Two squares of dark chocolate

Tea:
All prepared at home. We have Fish, roasted veg, home made SW chips twice a week and remaining days are something like tuna pasta, tortellini, stir fry. 'Naughty meal' once a week of chicken kiev, SW chips and frozen veg.

Snacks:
2 a day selected from either: boiled egg, handful of nuts, 30g low fat hummus with cucumber/pepper sticks, piece of fruit

I'm trying to stick to around 1,500 cals a day but don't really want to get bogged down by macro nutrients or cutting out major foodgroups if I can help it. Am also exercising two/three times a week. Am 5,7 and 12,7st. I want to lose a stone!

TIA smile

QuiteLikely5 Wed 04-May-16 13:53:49

That looks healthy to me, are you saying that on 1500 Cals you aren't losing weight?

My advice would be to go low carb - I know you said you did not want to cut out food groups but this diet certainly works!

Also after the initial phase you do gradually reintroduce carbs

CremeDeSudo Wed 04-May-16 13:59:26

I've been too scared to weigh myself blush and I was hoping to go with how I felt and how my clothes felt. However I've been doing it for two weeks and I've now realised I need the reassurance that it's working to keep at it!! Am going to weigh myself on Friday's so wil be weighing on Friday and sticking to it thereafter.

I think I would really struggle with low carb though. I'm not a veggie, but I don't like meat particularly. Only chicken, and I eat that under duress to be honest!! Fish is fine though. I feel like I need the stodge at lunchtime as well. Is there anything you think you would change that might help?

Catinthecorner Wed 04-May-16 14:35:41

I think my main concern would be your protein intake. I know you don't want to count macros but a protein source at each meal would be easy to factor (and you have options with protein in each of the examples you listed).

Are you feeling full enough? How are your energy levels? I'd say you should be losing at 1500 calories a day - it may even be a little low.

CremeDeSudo Wed 04-May-16 15:29:23

Yes I'm full enough and fine energy wise. If I'm hungry I have fruit, a boiled egg if there's one there or a nakd bar sometimes.

Should I try and add a protein source to the lunch option d'you think? Am tips/suggestions?

I think my metabolism has been screwed up by VLCD's and I'm trying to get it back on track.

CremeDeSudo Wed 04-May-16 15:33:33

D'you think the two squares of dark chocolate are OK?

petitpois55 Wed 04-May-16 15:51:19

This is the sort of food i'm eating at the moment.I'm not counting calories as such, but just eating three meals a day, with a couple of snacks and unlimited fruit and veggies.
I'm only on my second week, and aiming to lose three stone, so kind of in for the long haul.
I really don't like the no carb thing. I'm all for reducing carbs, but there's no way i'd want to eat a high protein and fat diet long term. i think it's dangerous to omit any good groups,- and besides if i don't eat enough fibre, i get really sluggish and constipated.

Your diet sounds good. I'm loving poached eggs for breakfast at the moment on a slice of wholemeal toast. They're keeping me full for ages. Porridge is another favourite. I've just worked out the calories for all the meals/snacks i had yesterday, and it came to 1550. I lost two pounds last week eating this way. . Had oatcakes and humous for lunch today with some olives and carrots sticks followed by a Banana, and having lentil chill with brown rice tonight for dinner , followed by a a low cal chocolate mousse. May even have some skinny popcorn at the cinema tonight as well. Did a half hour exercise. Good luck with it.

CremeDeSudo Wed 04-May-16 16:30:32

petitpois55 I've been reading up on low carb/macro nutrients and it's a bit conflicting. I've read that as I'm a pear shape I should be sticking to a low fat diet with less than 27g of (healthy) fat a day - proving difficult yet low carb/high protein/fat is apparently the way to go. I'd rather just be balanced like you say.

Your suggestions sound good to me too. And 2lb is a good loss. I'd be pleased with that! (this is why I need to weigh myself)

Good luck to you too smile

petitpois55 Wed 04-May-16 17:32:26

You sound similar to me Creme. I'm not a veggie but eat very little meat. I do like fish though and we have Fish a couple of times a week, but other than that t's veggie meals or sometimes chicken. i think that's why low Carbing doesn't really suit me.
I have though cut down on carbs, and have discovered cauliflower rice, and Courgetti, both of which i thought i would hate but have surprised myself by incorporating them to meals where i would normally use rice or pasta. It's cut down on calories by quite a bit, and really very tasty.

I think you have to find what works for you, but the thought of never having naan bread with my curry or beans on toast would be enough to send me running towards the wine and chocolate.
It's my wedding anniversary tomorrow, so i will be off plan for tomorrow, and eating what i want. Going to a Mexican tomorrow night and i won't be counting a single caloriesmile

CremeDeSudo Thu 05-May-16 12:28:13

Enjoy! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now