Breakfast ideas desperately sought

(14 Posts)
civilfawlty Thu 31-Mar-16 20:00:49

I would be really grateful for some ideas. I don't want to be so heavy any more. I want to follow a healthy, and low cal, diet. I know breakfast is incredibly important. But I just don't know where to start.

There is a list of food I can't eat - bananas, honey, yoghurt, milk, cream cheese, cottage cheese, fromage frais (and any of those soured dairy products really) - which is really restrictive when I read the diet books. I can eat eggs, but presumably can't have them every day. I would be so grateful for some ideas so I can get this weight loss happening.
Thank you!

civilfawlty Fri 01-Apr-16 06:45:52

Bump

Ouch44 Fri 01-Apr-16 06:50:43

Porridge made with almond milk? Peanut butter on rice cakes?

Have a search on Pinterest. Try searching dairy free, low-cal breakfasts.

Also slimming eats is an amazing blog/website I've just discovered.

JanTheJam Fri 01-Apr-16 06:52:06

Why don't you come and have a look at the 5:2 threads?

I've stopped eating breakfast and find I'm not hungry until about 10:30 without it. Why should anyone eat when they aren't hungry? It takes up to a week to get used to it.

I don't think it's true that you have to eat breakfast in order to drop weight. It's more important to eat when hungry, cut out snacks and eat to "full" not to" finish".

Silvertap Fri 01-Apr-16 06:58:17

I have a poached egg on toast 5 out of 7 days a week and have lost 5 stone. No reason you can't have eggs every day!

civilfawlty Fri 01-Apr-16 17:06:29

Wow. Brilliant replies. Thank you all!

civilfawlty Fri 01-Apr-16 17:06:56

Ps - 5 stone is AMAZING Silvertap. Any other hints?

Silvertap Fri 01-Apr-16 18:59:39

I gave up working for Greggs!! It helped a lot!!

Toffeelatteplease Sat 16-Apr-16 07:17:57

Egg/eggs tomatoes mushrooms. Add turkey bacon or bacon medallions for extra yummyness

Sandwich thin toasted with marmite or peanut butter and coffee (this is my everyday breakfast)

Breakfast is only important if it is naturally important to you. Snacks are important to me so I still snack but within my calorie allowance and having swapped popcorn for crisps.

It's up to you how and when you eat your calories, if your burning more than you are eating you will lose regardless

Toffeelatteplease Sat 16-Apr-16 07:32:48

Just to add out of your list the only things I have eaten on my diet is milk (coffee nut) and the odd banana. I don't think you're missing much.

For me food that has proven invaluable are things like mushrooms, tomato (prefer cherry), tinned tomato, celery (which I hated previously), salmon and chicken.

Usually I can adapt normal recipes especially if you have a decent non stick saucepan so you can leave out the oil or add a little spray oil.

jimijack Sat 16-Apr-16 07:36:35

Slimming world website is also great for ideas.
I eat allot of eggs, done in all ways, whole meal toast (limited to 2 slices a day) mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, that kind of stuff.
I Go for very quick & easy, Chuck it in to cook while I get ready for work.
I'm a stone down in 9 weeks so far.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Sat 16-Apr-16 07:40:06

I do oatcakes and nice cheese. Filling, delicious, and v quick. Comes in at about 220 calories i think.

readingrainbow Sat 16-Apr-16 07:52:01

Breakfast has always been a carb-heavy binge-fest for me. It is my kryptonite - toast, teacakes, cereal, etc. It's far easier for me to just give up breakfast entirely and focus on eating a healthful and filling lunch and dinner. I do a version of 5:2 known as 16:8 - I fast for 16 hours a day and eat during an 8 hour "window".

Intermittent fasting, coupled with removing added sugars from my diet, has enabled me to lose about 40 kg in the past year or so.

I started eating breakfast again for a couple of weeks last month and put a few pounds on very quickly. So 16:8 is a way of life for me.

TwoLittleBlooms Fri 06-May-16 12:54:54

I have just started calorie counting using my fitness pal (I changed the given 1200 to 1500 as that is what the NHS bmi calculator says I need to lose weight safely), I have 4st + to lose and this week have lost 5lb. My daily breakfast is Quaker oat satchets (golden syrup flavour) made with 180ml of almond milk (you could use normal oats I just use the satchets as they are so simple - no real measuring just pour milk to the line) and I have a cup of coffee with 100ml of almond milk - this all comes in at 208 calories.

I used to eat for breakfast 3 slices of toast with lashings of peanut butter and spread and coffee with loads of semi-skimmed milk and 2 massive heaped sugars (hence why so much to lose!). I haven't struggled too much with breakfast. I won't lie though, I am struggling in the evening - snacking is another of my downfalls. Good luck with the weight loss!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now