Giving up refined sugar

(5 Posts)
SpaceKablooie Sun 06-Mar-16 21:53:44

I'm on day 6 of giving up refined sugar, and I'm feeling okay. However, I'm struggling to find any reliable sources of information about this - I don't want to give up fruit, and I don't want to give up refined grains etc at the moment (although I'd like to nudge these in a more healthy direction over time).

I seem to be worrying over what snacks I can eat, so if anyone has any ideas about this, that would be great. TIA smile.

LittleLegs25 Wed 20-Apr-16 11:07:52

Im on day 9!! I haven't given up fruit etc. as this is natural sugar but I've given up chocolate and all the nasty sugars and I've lost 5 lbs!

I was a total sugar addict before, chocolate was daily for me, not just a treat and im finding this surprisingly easy, although it wasn't to start with!
I'm currently snacking on fruit, carrot sticks and humus, ryvita.

I'm also sticking to a 1400 calorie diet which im sure has helped with weight loss too.

PeteHornberger Sat 23-Apr-16 19:56:33

How are you both getting on now? I'm considering doing this, just refined sugar to start with. Have a chronic chocolate habit that I need to kick.

Does it get easier? Am planning to clear the house of any choc/cakes/biscuits/sweets as if it's there, I'll eat it! Did you give up crisps too?

Snack ideas would be welcome as well, I love to snack and don't want to ruin what I'm doing with a poor choice of snacks!

LittleLegs25 Fri 29-Apr-16 11:00:12

Im still going! Think I have just over a week left and I've lost 8lbs in total. I know if I kicked it up a notch and started exercising id lose a lot more but I'm not sure my head is quite there yet if that makes sense.

I was a total chocolate addict before I started this so I have surprised myself with how I have stuck to it. Just start off by giving up chocolate/cakes/biscuits etc. and if you have a craving for something sweet get some fruit, it sounds boring but when you really have a sweet craving anything is better than nothing!

Sleepyfergus Tue 10-May-16 16:28:41

not sure if anyone is still following this, but I have just started on a similar diet. I used to drink 6 cups of coffee a day, each with 1 teaspoon of sugar in them - that is now zero (or at the very most, 1 cup a day with 1/2 teaspoon sugar). I've also stopped all biscuits/sweets/cakes etc, and trying to eat better. Breakfast is poached egg on a bacon medallion which I finds keeps me fullish until lunch, but I am still snacking on apples/ bananas. I'm also drinking more water (not gallons, but def more than I used to)
On day 3/4, I had the most awful headaches which I presume was cutting back the sugar (not the coffee - I drank decaff) but I've yet to see any weight loss, and I'm so tired.
is this normal? does it get better? I'm particularly snappy today, and this is day 8.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now