Alternative to bread

(6 Posts)
espa Tue 11-Aug-15 12:03:49

When I lost weight a few years ago (combination of sensible eating, a bit of calorie counting and exercise) for a while I cut out bread (and cakes/treats) during the week, as I felt I ate a lot of it and it was contributing to weight gain. Through a combination of injury and pregnancy for the best part of 3 years I need to lose all that weight again although I'm finding it tough with baby DD to get the time, especially when I am still going through some rehab for my injury.

Anyway, I seem to have gone off on a tangent a bit. I've found myself eating a lot of bread again, particularly toast at lunch as DD loves it so I tend just to have some with jam/philadelphia while feeding her as it's easy. What could I have instead of bread in a similar snacky vein? I sometimes have melba toast or pate and oatcakes but tend to get a bit bored of it after a while. Suggestions welcome!

MameMarema Tue 11-Aug-15 15:35:52

I love kallo rice cakes, ryvita crispbreads

kallo blueberry and vanilla rice cakes are bloody awesome!

espa Tue 11-Aug-15 17:20:57

Do they taste better than baby rice cakes? I've never been much of a fan of them!

simplydivine05 Thu 03-Sep-15 22:20:08

I too have not been eating much bread as it makes me bloated although white is the worst. I like ryvitas, but not the plain ones. There's all sorts of topping ideas on their website. Some days I don't have any carbs at lunch and just have plenty of protein to keep me filled up.

SlowlyGoingINSAINIA Thu 03-Sep-15 22:24:22

Have you tried making whoopsie bread? Its high protein and low carb. No flour is used.

healthyrecipesblogs.com/2013/07/23/oopsie-rolls/

Mrsmoneyworries Fri 04-Sep-15 12:05:20

I'm a VERY fussy eater and can only eat the basic ryvita crispbread things. I take it this is better than bread.

And is wholemeal bread better than white?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now