Am I missing the point of MFP? Why does everyone rate it so much?

(14 Posts)
justcantseehow Sun 05-Oct-14 08:34:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DefiniteMaybe Sun 05-Oct-14 08:37:18

I'm sure when I used mfp it gave a weekly average, I was doing 5:2 so needed weekly average.
For me though the advantage was recording everything I ate and drank, without that it's so easy to forget something you've had and be eating more than you think.

hedwig2001 Sun 05-Oct-14 11:01:09

If you are using the app, look on the nutrition page. It gives both daily and weekly calorie totals.
If you are on the website look under reports. You can look at up to 180 days of calorie intakes.
I have been using it for 116 days and have lost 25lbs.
The messages are annoying though. You get "told off" for going over your calorie total, but also if you go under! Just ignore the messages.
Keep going.

justcantseehow Sun 05-Oct-14 14:25:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

almostfullyfunctional Sun 12-Oct-14 09:14:37

Hi Just, another thing you can do to wind up on the 'naughty step' less often is to enter all your activity. It counts cleaning and cooking as exercise and offsets it against you intake. It's nice to know that someone gives you credit for the chores you do!

50ShadesofGreyMatter Sun 12-Oct-14 09:54:52

"If you are using the app, look on the nutrition page. It gives both daily and weekly calorie totals.
If you are on the website look under reports. You can look at up to 180 days of calorie intakes. "

Well I've been doing mfp for two years now and I didn't know about this^^^, so thanks hedwig2001 grin

turntothesun Sat 21-Feb-15 17:17:07

Hello, does anyone NOT count vegetables (and fruit?) when doing MFP? We eat a lot of stir frys with loads of broc, peppers, mangetout, spring onions, mushrooms and its such a fab to count the calories in them all and try and get the portion right when serving up! They are free on sw and ww! Any thoughts on this?

turntothesun Sat 21-Feb-15 17:17:46

Sorry meant to start new post, oops!

Branleuse Sat 21-Feb-15 18:02:03

I do count fruit and veg because they are calories, and its a calorie counting tool, However, Im not too strict about logging things like that, ie I dont try and exactly tot up the calories of something healthy and home made, Ill find something similar in their database and hope for the best. I also dont log cups of tea or coffee etc, although I would log an alcoholic drink

MFP does work brilliantly if you do it properly, or even nearly properly

Branleuse Sat 21-Feb-15 18:03:45

you could use the red message of doom of going over your calorie goal, as either motivation for the next day to try and eat less, or exercise more, or you could just berate yourself about your failings and talk about what a stupid system it is.
Only one is really helpful though

Decanter Tue 03-Mar-15 18:08:30

Turntothesun, I don't count veg to be honest, or at least, raw veg. I eat fish/chicken with salad most nights, and only log the protein, dressing and a weighed amount of croutons. I don't log leaves, tomatoes, onion or cucumber. I would log something like potatoes, but rarely have them. I've lost over 2 stones in 4 months doing it this way so seems to be ok for me.

alphabook Mon 25-May-15 18:47:10

I count fruit and veg. It all adds up.

I also tend to look at the weekly calorie average if I have a day where I go slightly over.

patterkiller Mon 25-May-15 18:50:15

But it does give you a weekly average. If you go on the app under nutrition. I use that as I'm 5:2 and find it really helpful.

purplemunkey Mon 25-May-15 19:06:02

I've just discovered the nutrition tab thanks to this thread and to my delight my weekly average is below my calorie target despite going over on the odd day here and there - now I don't feel bad for the few red marks!

I turn off any alerts on apps so I don't get the naughty step messages. I'm glad I have as they sound pretty annoying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now