How many calories do I need a day if I'm EBF a 9 week old?

(7 Posts)

Need to curb what I'm eating as its getting out of control. Am not going on a strict diet but just want to eat within my limits, and am using MFP to record, as this usually shocks me into realising how much junk I eat a day. So does anyone know how much I should be aiming for to lose 1lb a week or so?

Have tried googling but the sites all vary so much. I have at least 1.5 stone to lose.

TIA

Bump

rockybalboa Wed 19-Jun-13 21:25:49

Doesn't bf'ing require 500-600 cals a day? I'd programme your MFP based on whatever figure it gives you to lose 1lb/wk and then add on 500 cals per day and see how you get on. I'm planning to go back to the 5:2 plan once baby has been extracted and intend to add 500 cals to my 500 cal fast day allowance and see how that goes.

Thanks rocky. I will try that tomorrow and see what it gives.

blackteaplease Thu 20-Jun-13 20:21:52

You can add breastfeeding as a food and it deducts the relevant nutrients as well as calories

Rowanred Thu 20-Jun-13 20:30:55

I wouldnt go over 2000 if you want to lose weight. I think the bf/ burning calories thing is a bit of a myth! With dc1 I only lost weight after stopping bf at 7 months. Dc2 I am still bf at 12m but have put n a stone since giving birth!

Mfp says I need 1200, so am aiming for 1700-1800 a day. I didn't realise you could add bf as a food, although it doesn't actually deduct the calories from the total but useful to add. Day three today and already feel like I have stopped comfort eating as I'm more aware of what I pick up and eat and think about the rest of the day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now