Anyone want to join me in a May/June/July weight loss challenge?

(153 Posts)
Murtette Tue 30-Apr-13 20:27:40

I've realised that its 1st May tomorrow, that there are 13 weeks during May, June & July and that I want to lose a stone before going on holiday in the first week of August. So, if I can lose a lb a week for each of those 13 weeks, I'll have cracked it. Anyone else want to join me?
My plan is to have 1300 calories a day except for Sundays when I'll have between 1500 - 1600, do Zumba twice a week and finally get the Shred out of its packaging and do that a couple of times a week. I think my downfall is that, on the two days I work in an office, I'll have little control over what I have for lunch as always eat in the canteen with colleagues and there's little choice so I need to control what & how much I eat there.
I'm 11st10 today and want to be 10st10 by 1st August. If I can lose 1.5lbs a week, then I'd be 10st3 which would be brilliant as then I'd be a few pounds into my "ideal" BMI as opposed to still being "overweight" which I will be at 10st10.

riverboat Thu 09-May-13 23:34:54

...sorry posted too soon. Meant to add that I thought I'd be OK upping the target since I'm not looking to lose much weight (less than a stone and I'm not in a great hurry) just to tone up and shift my belly. Obviously if you want to lose more weight / lose weight faster I don't know if upping your target is a good idea.

Anyway, I came in just below my target today, and did an exercise DVD as well as generally having a pretty active day. So am feeling better after my dinner party indulgence yesterday.

Murtette Thu 09-May-13 23:42:26

A quick post before going to bed - no exercise (again); much better foodwise.
Going away this weekend. At home, I'm coping on 1250ish as I'm really planning what I eat & when, something I won't be able to do whilst away.

Murtette Thu 09-May-13 23:42:47

Oh, and welcome to the new joiners.

Dingle Fri 10-May-13 07:35:02

Thank you for the replies. I know my downfall really is in meal planning! blush When I started looking at weight loss at the weekend I looked at the NHS site which I think said 1400cals per day...so I suppose anything between 1200-1400 I shouldn't get stressed over but it is nice to see the figures all in green!

I have a day off today and seeing as I did my C25K last night I might hit the yoga on the Wii and perhaps try some of those standing abs exercises.

wizzler Fri 10-May-13 08:54:24

Just feel so much better knowing I am doing something instead of gettng fatter and more miserable!

Bakingnovice Fri 10-May-13 09:40:10

Hi everyone. I think I should lose 2lb by weigh in tomorrow which will take me to 12lb loss. I'm low carbing and have cut out all the shit. But I eat anything I want on Saturdays. I'm hoping I can lose another 8-10 lbs like this then move to 5:2 again. I've been very bad and not exercised! The weather is not helping though. It's bouts of sun followed by heavy winds and rain here and I keep missing the short window of good weather so ican walk.

Dingle Fri 10-May-13 15:02:49

My day off didn't really go to plan. My 9.15 meeting didn't finish til about midday but I have managed lunch and over half an hour on Wii Fit. I feel I'd like something more structured but easy to fit in at home on my non C25K days. Any ideas please. I do fancy something more general toning and flexibility, perhaps some arm and abs and hope that the "running" will improve tone of my legs and bum! grin (She said with fingers tightly crossed!)
I don't want high level aerobics, especially after a full day working at the pre-school then home to look after my own DC. I'd like something more relaxing if possible.
Are you looking forward to your next run wizzler?
Fingers crossed for you Bakingnovice and well done!
Thank you for the advice riverboat. It's only week 1, I think I will try to stick between 1200 and 1400 taking exercise in consideration and just see how it goes. IF I lose anything may also depend on my IBS! blush but so far upping my water intake, exercising, etc hasn't had any effect. I might have to take a dose of senna tonight! LOL

wizzler Fri 10-May-13 16:07:53

Next run is due tomorrow Dingle.. do me a favour and give me a kick up the bum if I dip out.
I do Karate with the DC on friday nights.... never want to go but always enjoy it when I get there... and hitting boards very hard is very theraputic ! Not as strenuous as it sounds, but not as bad as sitting on the sofa scoffing maltesers!!!

tumbletumble Fri 10-May-13 19:40:57

Hi all, please can I join you?

I started 3 weeks ago and have already lost half a stone, bringing me to 12st 8lb. I was a bit higher this morning (sneaky mid week weigh in), but I think (hope!) that is due to TOTM.

I would love to lost another 2 stone, which would give me a BMI of 22.5 (currently 26.8).

I've been trying to stick to 1200 calories, not always succeeding but at least the weight has been coming off so I haven't been too bad!

Exercise isn't too much of a problem for me as I do quite a bit anyway (running, gym, pilates). Snacking and mindless eating are my downfall - I love cake, crisps etc! I am allowing myself a bag of quavers a day as my treat (only 88 cals as someone already noted up thread).

riverboat Sat 11-May-13 00:24:38

Dongle, I like JM's Yoga Meltdown for arms and general toning /flexibility. Free on YouTube!

Don't know if today was good or bad. On one hand spent most of day (6 hours) walking around my city doing sightseeing with guests. Minimal sitting intervals. My feet were absolutelty killing by the end of the day. On the other hand I had a lot of wine and as big restaurant meal with said guests at end of day, and am really having difficulty quantifying the calories in my huge very varied meal, not all of which I ate. I think I roughly broke even all told, maybe a bit over.

riverboat Sat 11-May-13 00:38:12

Argh, Dingle, not Dongle!

Welcome tumbletumble. Sounds like you are doing great, and good luck with the continuance! Do you like gherkins? The kind that come in jars of vinegar? I have latched onto these as a great practically 0 cal snack, and very satisfying too due to crunchiness and sourness.

tri10 Sat 11-May-13 08:38:46

2lbs down this morninggrin but the shred is absolutely killing my knees! So need to find something else to alternate with the shred, is the yoga meltdown 30mins as well?

Dingle Sat 11-May-13 08:52:02

LOL, I like Dongle! grin

Thank you riverboat I will take a look at Yoga meltdown.

Hmm, not sure about the gherkins, I think I'd be too tempted to add a big chunk of mature cheddar to my plate! blush

I weighed in at 11st 3.25lb this morning so I have had a loss of just over 3lb in my first week. I am enjoying the c25k but I still need to bring in more exercise. My biggest issue is still planning our meals!

Run wizzler, run! LOL I am going to get dressed and do my run early today!

RubySlippers77 Sat 11-May-13 12:25:40

I've just done my first British Military Fitness class. It was a freebie and I'm not sure I'll go back, as I can just about face doing it when the weather is ok, but there's no way I'd be out there in the rain..... but good fun and I worked hard, think I'll feel it later!!

I'd never heard of the Shred or Yoga Meltdown but will be giving them a go so thank you for the tips ladies grin

Wishing you all a successful weight-loss weekend - I did crack last night and have a small glass of cava - it was only the thought of suffering at the BMF class today that kept me on the straight and narrow and away from further glasses!

Bakingnovice Sat 11-May-13 13:38:42

I lost 2lb this week. So total for 4 weeks is 12lbs. I'm v happy. But having a day off today. So impressed with all the exercise going on. I did a 70 min walk today and I hope I keep it up. I love the shred but it buggers my knees up too. I'm going to dig it out as it tones you like nothing else.

My goal for next week is 2lb which will take me to a full stone. Good luck everyone!

riverboat Sat 11-May-13 22:53:21

Another not great day, mostly because of the ongoing presence of house guests, so more general drinking / eating going on around me which I feel uncomfortable completely abstaining from, but even with reduced drinking / scoffing I still end up going over my calories!

Tomorrow until next weekend should be much easier to control. Then next weekend itself will be a challenge for various reasons, but I'll deal with that when we get there.

DottyboutDots Sun 12-May-13 05:46:02

Had to post somewhere as I'm so ecstatic! After a post all children weightloss start of 16 kg / about 2.5 stone last year, I had plateaued started to put it back on. With a wedding coming up I panicked decided to focus and week one has got rid of 2.4kgs! I've never, ever lost that much in a week before. I did MFP at 1200 and did not negotiate with myself at all, meaning I never ate over the allowance nor did I eat all my exercise calories.
Going to celebrate with a swim.

riverboat Sun 12-May-13 10:16:58

Congratulations Dotty, that's fantastic! You sound so strong, I'm really glad it has paid off. Enjoy your swim and the rest of your Sunday :-)

Murtette Sun 12-May-13 20:42:25

Some great losses on here! Well done, ladies. I will be approaching the scales with some trepidation tomorrow as we spent the weekend staying with friends who are the sort of annoying people who eat whatever they want & stay stick thin and also really enjoy cooking so we had a delicious home made curry for supper last night followed by home made panna cotta. Breakfast this morning was very different to my normal weetabix!
And I still haven't done any exercise. And won't be able to do any tomorrow - other than running around after the DC. I must start Shredding again on Tues.

riverboat Sun 12-May-13 23:00:11

Today went much better now my house guests have finally gone.

Breakfast: 2 small slices of bacon and a small orange juice
Lunch: Big salad and a small ham sandwich
Dinner: Roast pork with lots of mushrooms and a small spoonful of mash. Plus a yogurt and the teeniest piece of cake.
Excercise: 20 minutes running on treadmill plus lots of crunches.

...puts me well within my calorie goal, unlike the last two days! I think the biggest reason for this is no wine today. I simply can't resist drinking wine when everyone else around me is, all I can do is try to keep the glasses small! And so I have to make an effort on days like today when I'm just with DP at home to NOT have a glass (or two) in the evening out of habit.

I'm definitely still learning a lot about my ingrained eating/drinking habits and which ones are the worst for me. Really glad I started doing this!

tumbletumble Mon 13-May-13 18:44:03

Well done Dotty, that's fab!

Like riverboat, we had friends staying this weekend. I did my best but am feeling nervous about my weigh in tomorrow!

riverboat Mon 13-May-13 23:30:51

Good luck for the weigh in tumble.

How is everyone else doing?

Today was good insofar as I stayed under my calorie goal and did exercise, but it was also the first day where I have felt hungry, and had to really stop myself grabbing crisps / piece of cheese / biscuits. Not sure if it was actual hunger or just one of the effects of being more conscious of what I should and shouldn't be eating...

Dingle Tue 14-May-13 08:25:14

Weighed myself this morning and have lost another 1.5lb, that's a total of 5lb since I started about 10 days ago.

Still struggling meeting MFP cal target of 1200 but really enjoying C25k.

riverboat I often feel hungry, my worst time is in the evening when I usually have warm milk and a cookie!blush

keep going everyone.x

wizzler Tue 14-May-13 08:37:43

First weigh in for me and I have lost 2lbs... hurray!. Trousers already fitting better so much more positive as a result

Paid for my holiday this week, which means I have 12 weeks to get into shape. Am doing c25k, and eating sensibly... finding that increasing my exercise seems to reduce my appetite.

Well done Dingle.. keep going <waves>

Dingle Tue 14-May-13 09:14:33

Well done, wizzler I have 12.5 weeks till our hols. How much do you want to lose before you go?

I MAY attempt that Yoga Meltdown(???) today as I have a day off. Enjoyed my run last night but have woken up heady and stuffy and feeling rotten.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now