Would this birthday cake idea be OK?

(14 Posts)
missyB1 Wed 09-Nov-16 13:05:02

So after a few years of paying people to make novelty birthday cakes for ds which always look great but taste very average, I've decided to bake a cake myself this year. Trouble is I'm no baker! I've decided to ditch the whole novelty cake thing anyway as I actually think he prefers good old fashioned cakes like my mum used to make for me.

So I'm thinking Victoria sponge sandwiched with jam, and top covered in homemade icing (from icing sugar) and lots of sprinkles and smarties. Is that too plain / boring? I could put chocolate buttercream in the middle and chocolate icing on top? It has to be idiot proof!

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Wed 09-Nov-16 13:07:12

Our cakes for home are always chocolate cakes, with chocolate spread for icing covered with sweets. The non birthday child helps decorate it for the birthday child. The DC love it.

ByeByeLilSebastian Wed 09-Nov-16 13:08:45

Go for it! Everyone likes a proper cake.
You could always do fairy cakes to go with it, you can be a bit more adventurous with them.

SheSparkles Wed 09-Nov-16 13:10:11

It sounds perfect to me-and delicious too

Wotshudwehave4T Wed 09-Nov-16 13:14:22

Sounds delicious, if you want to make it look a bit more pro, put roll out fondant on it and order a cake topper of some kind to stick on - heaps on line, you can get photos put on icing too, but your plan of home made icing will taste better

Joinourclub Wed 09-Nov-16 13:14:31

Sounds delicious! You could always use the smarties to spell out name / age - really fancy!

Joinourclub Wed 09-Nov-16 13:17:07

Kit kats or chocolate fingers around bad the side of s chocolate cake look cool www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/538582/chocolate-fingers-cake

missyB1 Wed 09-Nov-16 13:17:19

Phew! I'm glad it's OK to get away from the novelty cakes thing! I think I will do a trial run to make sure my sponge skills are up to it!
Thanks peeps I was worried it wouldn't be sophisticated enough.

QuimReaper Wed 09-Nov-16 13:17:26

Sounds fine! I'd top it with butter cream though.

Does he like jam?

QuimReaper Wed 09-Nov-16 13:18:18

I definitely think "novelty" cakes are overrated, good-old-fashioned all the way for me!

NavyandWhite Wed 09-Nov-16 13:18:37

Sounds perfect OP. Absolutely love homemade birthday cakes.

RockinHippy Wed 09-Nov-16 13:34:21

I make novelty cakes, though I make flavour a priority as it has to be eaten & to me that is the most important thing in a cake, but it never fails to amaze me how few novelty cakes I have eaten at parties are disgusting, plastic tasting & dry.

Personally I would go for a homemade cake over one of those every time!

If he likes Victoria sponge, then your idea sounds lovely, if he doesn't (my DD hates it) then as above, go chocolate & use chocolate spread to fill it.

If you want to add a bit of a novelty theme, then you can buy lots of different styles of novelty cake toppers & printed rice paper toppers on Amazon & most are not expensive

RockinHippy Wed 09-Nov-16 13:35:50

How many not few confused

My autocorrect has gone nuts since the last upgradehmm

gerbo Sun 13-Nov-16 17:24:52

I love a homemade cake, prefer it to a novelty cake any day. I do either a choc or Victoria standard 20cm cake then ask birthday child if they would prefer sweeties (haribos, smarties, choc sweeties etc) or a themed cake topper. It's probably fifty fifty which I make. Go to eBay for themed cake topper for 5-10 quid. I plonk these in Victoria sponge with glacé icing - so easy!!!
I have friends who make novelty cakes each year but personally I don't understand the faff- my children have always been over the moon with their cakes. Oh and I never use buttercream on a Victoria sponge, only glacé. Happy baking! (Mary Berrys sponges are best, by the way!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now