Help! Friend's DH has mistaken me for a baker!!!

(18 Posts)
FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Mon 07-Nov-16 12:52:15

Hi,

One of my dearest friends is 50 on Saturday. I volunteered to help her DH with decorating the venue, but it appears that he also wants me to make the cake. I can cook, but cakes are not a strength! Also, I have to drive about an hour to the party, so I need something that will travel well.

I have ordered two number tins and thought that carrot cake might work well as most people like it and it's quite sturdy. Each of the tins is 30cm x 25cm x 6cm, Liquid Volume - 2.2L

Any help/tips/recipes gratefully received!

Florence

PlinkPlonkPlunk Mon 07-Nov-16 12:55:15

Could you buy a plain cake and just decorate it? And go "minimalist", like white fondant with silver balls or something? Or get an edible photo topper made?

Arfarfanarf Mon 07-Nov-16 12:56:12

Buy one.

Branleuse Mon 07-Nov-16 12:59:44

cant you just tell him that youre not a good baker

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Mon 07-Nov-16 13:03:54

I am determined to rise to the challenge (but will run out and buy one on Saturday if I screw up!). Don't really want to say I won't do it as that will then cause stress at his end and he has a lot to do.

Thanks for tips. I am aiming to keep it relatively plain (just with yummy topping) and let the 50 candles perk things up!

Radiatorvalves Mon 07-Nov-16 13:23:43

Get a reliable recipe book and follow it - to the letter. Don't use the River Café - timings are always peculiar.

Good luck!

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Mon 07-Nov-16 13:24:47

Thanks, RadiatorValves. Just unearthed a Mary Berry book and think I will follow that. Am going to make cake on Wednesday, so I have plenty of time to go for a backup plan :-)

creampie Mon 07-Nov-16 13:29:58

Betty Crocker is your friend! They come out perfectly and no one will ever know. The carrot cake one is lovely. You can make your own frosting if youre a purist!

Dafspunk Mon 07-Nov-16 13:32:24

You're making it on Wednesday to be eaten on Saturday?

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Mon 07-Nov-16 13:34:51

Thanks, Creampie. There's a back up option if ever there was one!

Hi, Dafspunk. Do you think that would be an issue with a carrot cake? I wouldn't be putting any topping on until Saturday, obviously.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 07-Nov-16 13:38:10

Carrot cake can sit from Wednesday till Saturday

-not in my house because it will get eaten-/

ExcuseMyEyebrows Mon 07-Nov-16 13:42:54

Another fan of Betty Crocker's carrot cake mix here. It makes a big cake and is lovely and moist. I use the BC ready made cream frosting too.

Good luck and don't forget pictures!

kiwiscantfly Mon 07-Nov-16 13:49:53

You can make it Weds, taste a bit to make sure it's nice and then wrap it in cling film and freeze till Saturday. Cakes taste fine after freezing and they ice easier frozen too. I wouldn't leave a carrot cake in a tin for that long. Make sure you have a great cream cheese icing recipe too, no carrot cake is complete without it!

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Mon 07-Nov-16 14:28:48

Thanks, Kiwiscantfly and ExcuseMyEyebrows.

Yes, ChardonnayKS, always a risk here too!!!

MaybeDoctor Mon 07-Nov-16 19:06:18

Make a trial cake?

zzzzz Mon 07-Nov-16 19:13:09

Mak it the day before and ice it when it has cooled. The icing keeps the cake fresh. Why don't you just make a refrigerator cake? (Layers of biscuits and creamy filling, google) no baking and cool proof.

HoneyDragon Mon 07-Nov-16 19:14:48

Costco

drspouse Mon 21-Nov-16 21:58:37

If you buy Betty Crocker icing, beat it for 5 mins and it will go further and taste nicer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now