Slightly different Christmas cake

(6 Posts)
PhyllisWig Sat 05-Nov-16 21:37:00

No one in my family really likes heavy fruit cake. I will be making ginger cake for h and the kids but fancied making a light fruited cake which me and dm can eat. Maybe something a bit middle eastern in influence but definately with some dried fruit in. Ideally a fairly small recipe or one which can be scaled down easily. Any ideas?

Lutrine Sat 19-Nov-16 07:22:20

I've made this gingery Christmas cake a few times, it's lighter than a normal one and gorgeous! www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4825/gingery-christmas-cake%3Famp?client=safari

Callmecordelia Sat 19-Nov-16 07:29:41

Nigella's clementine cake comes to mind - it has the Eastern influence you are looking for. No dried fruit though.

AGrinWithoutACat Sat 19-Nov-16 07:47:39

Not an eastern influence but I have made this Nigella Chocolate Fruit cake a couple of times now and it is lovely

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chocolatefruitcake_84675

wellcoveredsparerib Sat 19-Nov-16 07:56:36

Ft

wellcoveredsparerib Sat 19-Nov-16 11:38:30

blushoops. Ignore my earlier comment- nothing cryptic just a slip up.

I've done the nigella chocolate Xmas cake a few times and it always went down well. I've never done it earlier than about a week before Christmas as I was worried it wouldn't keep as long as a traditional one. Not sure if I was being overly cautious though. I would prefer to make it early to get another task done well in advance. Has anyone made it a month ahead? Was it ok?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now